Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beethoven vs. Mozart

1. Beethoven.

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Mozart.

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    Hmm... Who wins?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Beethoven. Most works of Mozart I find boring, boroquey, and classical. Beethoven on the other hand, is like Happy Hardcore vs Techno. It has a kick, a pizzazz, a vroom-vroom to your zoom-zoom :biggrin:

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    LOL thanks for the reply!

IMHO, I think Mozart is more musically brilliant, but I like Beethoven better.

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4
    Not crazy about the way this poll was worded because Mozart is probably more "brilliant."

But Beethoven is more brutal and the passion changes people. Beethoven is a Bashing genius. A bombastic mess of raw delight. Laid out flat with exhaustion. Heart stopping changes and explosions in direction.
    But Mozart is more brilliant. He's cute. Sweet. Fun.
    Beethoven is NOT for children under 52.

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Oh good, I'm 25, that qualifies me by symmetry.

7. Apr 15, 2010 #6
    Why must people continue to compare them? They were both great, it's just a matter of personal taste.

How was he more "Brilliant"? I'd like to know.

8. Apr 15, 2010 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Mozart, but to be fair, Mozart's father was a musician (genetic influence) and a music teacher (learned influence). Despite that, Mozart was said to go above and beyond his father's teachings, even as a child.

9. Apr 15, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beethoven's grandfather was a musical director, and his father was a choir singer and music teacher.

10. Apr 15, 2010 #9
    You know Strats, I just wrote out this long explanation for you and realized, this forum is not full of dummies.
    Mozart was probably more brilliant. That is not to say talented. Beethoven had to work harder. And it showed. Some of us like it better!!!! :!!) :tongue2:

11. Apr 15, 2010 #10

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Yeah, I suppose in reality that's how a lot of society was in the day, you worked where your parents did.

12. Apr 16, 2010 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

I've no idea who was more "brilliant." I enjoy Mozart's compositions more.

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lC1lRz5Z_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lC1lRz5Z_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zi8vJ_lMxQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zi8vJ_lMxQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Apr 16, 2010 #12

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Johann Sebastian Bach was better than both of them, I'm afraid.

The Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is one of the best pieces that have been ever made in my quite prideful opinion.

14. Apr 16, 2010 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

I love Bach, but he is not in the poll. *shakes finger*

:wink:

15. Apr 16, 2010 #14
    Mozart was certainly more brilliant; quite the prodigy, but I had to vote for Beethoven because I like his music better.

16. Apr 16, 2010 #15
    A couple of the musical composition majors, and a few other musicians I went to Oberlin with claimed this was not a particularly good fugue, that Bach wrote many very much better ones. I'm not in a position to judge, but it always struck me as weird that anyone would prefer a piece that was intellectually more interesting over one that sounded better.

17. Apr 16, 2010 #16
    Hmm, from pure unrational enjoyment of the music, it seems that the dynamics of Mozart hardly span 6-9dB and has a tight rhythm causing some boredom to me after maybe 10-15 minutes despite the genial harmonic melody, while, Beethoven especially in his later works- creates genial suspense to me with the variation in the full dynamic range from a single instrument in pianissimo to the full orchestra in fortissimo and variation in rhythm which never stops intrueging.

Example: The Violin concerto

(note that you can hear the volume being turned down at minute 1:27 to reduce the dynamics within range of the audiosystem; you won't suffer from that when you're there in person)

But I'm sure somebody will explain that it's actually the oppossite

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Apr 16, 2010 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was just going to reply "Bach." But in spirit of the poll I will instead say:

"yes"

19. Apr 16, 2010 #18
    I like Tchaikovsky.
    He had a music gene?

20. Apr 16, 2010 #19

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

For dynamics Beethoven had the advantage of technological advances, in that keyboard and string instruments became significantly more powerful and robust during his working lifetime, making the dimension of dynamics much more interesting, and I agree he exploited it well. Of course, he was also deaf, so appreciated the very loud bits!

Personally I think the best of Beethoven is better than anything of Mozart, but a lot of his work is below the fluency of Mozart. He seems to exhibit the beginning of a trend towards trying to be original by deliberately being unexpected, especially in his later output. That only works up to a certain point before being unexpected too often gets predictable and irritating. Being unexpected works better in smaller doses, as in Haydn's "Surprise" symphony.

21. Apr 16, 2010 #20
    What zooby said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook