Beginner chemistry experiments

In summary, some good chemical experiments to do at home are: -Wash dishes-Pourbaix diagram of aluminum-Making indicator paper or solution-Garden lime and limewater-Electrolysis of water-Different coins and moist paper-Battery operation of a small radio
I know there are many recourses online. But I'd like your individual input/advice What are some good chemical experiments I can do at home?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wash the dishes. With cold water. With hot water. With hot soapy water. With cold soapy water. Keep your eyes open --- there's chemistry going on all around you.

What is your knowledge on chemistry, and above all, on experimental chemistry? I know a few, but it depends on your knowledge levels that you could perform them safely or not.

The first one that comes to my mind is exploring the Pourbaix diagram of Aluminum

http://www.intechopen.com/source/html/41099/media/image4.jpeg

But it is not something that someone who never did chemistry can do on his own at home, you need basic safety measures.

Niaboc67 said:
I know there are many recourses online. But I'd like your individual input/advice What are some good chemical experiments I can do at home?

Thanks

There is lots of interesting things that can be done with cooking and chemistry. Vinegar (acetic acid) and baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate) are always fun to mix together. "Bystander" is right, though, there is chemistry everywhere. Keep your eyes (and other senses) "open" as you do your experiments and make your observations. E.g. when you mix vinegar and bakind soda together, what happens to the temperature? What does this tell you?

If you add cream of tartar to egg whites, you get better meringue. Why? If you make meringue in a copper bowl, you get stiffer "peaks;" why? If you knead bread dough it gets more rubbery; why?

All very interesting ideas. I am an absolute beginning I've never done any chemical experiments of any kind.

I refreshed my water chemistry skills by carefully maintaining my hot tub chemistry for its first five years, including Taylor brand colorimetric analyses.

Niaboc67 said:
All very interesting ideas. I am an absolute beginning I've never done any chemical experiments of any kind.
You can try making indicator paper or solution. Red cabbage leaves are the standard home indicator, but I found the juice from inkweed berries changed colour.

Get a teaspoonful of garden lime and make limewater.

A couple of AA cells and common materials will get you going with electrolysis of water, and small amounts of O2 and H2.

Different coins and moist paper can make a battery that operates a small radio (for a short time). Some people use potatoes.

Good luck, and have fun.

1. What are some safe beginner chemistry experiments?

Some safe beginner chemistry experiments include making slime, creating a baking soda and vinegar volcano, and conducting a color-changing milk experiment.

2. What supplies do I need for beginner chemistry experiments?

You will need basic laboratory equipment such as beakers, test tubes, and a graduated cylinder, as well as common household items like food coloring, vinegar, and baking soda.

3. How can I make sure my beginner chemistry experiments are safe?

Always wear protective gear like goggles and gloves, and follow instructions carefully. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and dispose of chemicals properly.

4. Can I do beginner chemistry experiments at home?

Yes, many beginner chemistry experiments can be safely conducted at home with adult supervision. However, some experiments may require specialized equipment and should be done in a laboratory setting.

5. What are some beginner chemistry experiments for kids?

Some beginner chemistry experiments for kids include creating a density rainbow, making a lava lamp with oil and water, and conducting a simple chromatography experiment using markers and coffee filters.

Suggested for: Beginner chemistry experiments

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies