Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner chemistry experiments

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    I know there are many recourses online. But I'd like your individual input/advice What are some good chemical experiments I can do at home?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wash the dishes. With cold water. With hot water. With hot soapy water. With cold soapy water. Keep your eyes open --- there's chemistry going on all around you.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    What is your knowledge on chemistry, and above all, on experimental chemistry? I know a few, but it depends on your knowledge levels that you could perform them safely or not.

The first one that comes to my mind is exploring the Pourbaix diagram of Aluminum

http://www.intechopen.com/source/html/41099/media/image4.jpeg

But it is not something that someone who never did chemistry can do on his own at home, you need basic safety measures.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is lots of interesting things that can be done with cooking and chemistry. Vinegar (acetic acid) and baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate) are always fun to mix together. "Bystander" is right, though, there is chemistry everywhere. Keep your eyes (and other senses) "open" as you do your experiments and make your observations. E.g. when you mix vinegar and bakind soda together, what happens to the temperature? What does this tell you?

If you add cream of tartar to egg whites, you get better meringue. Why? If you make meringue in a copper bowl, you get stiffer "peaks;" why? If you knead bread dough it gets more rubbery; why?

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5
    All very interesting ideas. I am an absolute beginning I've never done any chemical experiments of any kind.

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I refreshed my water chemistry skills by carefully maintaining my hot tub chemistry for its first five years, including Taylor brand colorimetric analyses.

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You can try making indicator paper or solution. Red cabbage leaves are the standard home indicator, but I found the juice from inkweed berries changed colour.

Get a teaspoonful of garden lime and make limewater.

A couple of AA cells and common materials will get you going with electrolysis of water, and small amounts of O2 and H2.

Different coins and moist paper can make a battery that operates a small radio (for a short time). Some people use potatoes.

Good luck, and have fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook