Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner question about voltage

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    I've always understood voltage as the difference between two plates. The more i think about it, the more i disagree with it. Wouldn't the voltage induced by a magnet in a generator be, well, voltage? There isn't a difference between two plates, its just the magnetic field interacting with the electric fields of the electrons which moves them, which causes a chain reaction right? So if this is correct, could you get an instance of current through a wire if you just touched it to the negative (most electrons) terminal of a battery because the electrons are trying to push away from each other so they would spread out across the newly attached wire to equalize the distance between each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your musings are not far off.

Break down the term EMF
    Electro = ?
    Motive = ?
    Force = ?

then back to your physics book... or google.

http://amasci.com/ele-edu.html

old jim

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    lundyjb,

Difference? What kind of difference?

And what is that?

There are no magnetic fields when you run a comb through your hair, yet voltage is produced.

Wrong, there is nothing nuclear about this.

The metal wire contains as many charge carriers (electrons) for its size as the battery does. The electrons in the wire are completly neutralized by the atoms of the wire.

Ratch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook