Why is there a voltage drop in a metal with no electric field present?

In summary, the electric field between the two contacts on a metal sheet decays linearly between the contacts during DC conduction.
NS1
Metals are highly effective at screening electric fields. If we place two contacts reasonably far away from each other on a piece of metal and apply a voltage bias, the charge carriers in the section that is far enough from both the contacts should be unaffected by the electric field. Why then is the electrical resistance affected by the electric field between the contacts (through the electron mobility)? Why do we measure a voltage drop (e.g. in a four probe measurement) when there is no electric field, and the potential profile in the metal bulk should be flat?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply. In the Drude model the electric field is assumed to be constant and uniform. My question is why is this a good assumption, given the screening by the electrons in the contact region? Is this because the circuit is closed, and so there is no accumulation of the electrons at the contacts? Is correct to say that the electric field in a metal under bias decays linearly between the contact during DC conduction?

The Wiki says "The simplest analysis of the Drude model assumes that electric field E is both uniform and constant" - This is a model of the behavior and used for analysis. The "Constant and uniform" are the conditions set up in order to do the analysis. But this is looking at an E field only ( not a circuit).

IMO you are looking at two different things - in the case of screening E fields we are typically looking at a conductor floating in the presence of an E field. Here the free charges can move within the conductor - to effectively cancel out the externally applied field. Any internal field would result in more charge moving.

In the case of electrodes applied to a metal sheet - here we have a circuit, and a source / sink of electrons. Here, for BASIC DC analysis we need to assume a few things ( or account for things like the temperature impact on resistivity) - but since the electrons can not "accumulate" to negate the applied E field - you can and will set up an E field in the metal - you will have a voltage gradient. ( Note : it could be said that in an IDEAL conductor this will not happen because there is no resistivity in the material - but this is not a real world case, and in analysis does not lend itself to any better understanding)

In your OP you state "electrical resistance affected by the electric field" - as for this statement, believe you may be off - I do not know of any cases of this, while I do not know everything, I base this on the lack of devices that take advantage of this phenomena... it would seem to be very useful in sensors and other cases. But if we apply 10x the potential, the resistance does not change, perhaps in very high orders of magnitude there are some issues?? IDK... Can you point to an example where there is theory or real world case of this?

Likes NS1
Windadct said:
The Wiki says "The simplest analysis of the Drude model assumes that electric field E is both uniform and constant" - This is a model of the behavior and used for analysis. The "Constant and uniform" are the conditions set up in order to do the analysis. But this is looking at an E field only ( not a circuit)...
You're right, I was mixing two different cases (open vs. closed circuit). Regarding the effect on resistance, this was an editing error, caused by rewriting the question.
Thanks!

1. What is voltage drop in a metal?

Voltage drop in a metal refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when an electric current flows through a metal conductor. It is caused by the resistance of the metal and is measured in volts (V).

2. Why does voltage drop occur in metals?

Voltage drop occurs in metals because they have a certain amount of resistance to the flow of electricity. This resistance causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

3. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R): V = I x R. It can also be calculated using the voltage drop formula: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. How does voltage drop affect the performance of an electrical circuit?

Voltage drop can affect the performance of an electrical circuit by causing a decrease in the amount of voltage available to power devices and appliances. This can result in reduced efficiency and performance, and in some cases, can even cause equipment to malfunction.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger diameter wires for the circuit, minimizing the length of the wire, and using materials with lower resistance. Properly sizing the circuit and using appropriate wire gauge can also help reduce voltage drop.