Beginner's linear algebra question

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a linear algebra course and receiving hints on how to solve a problem involving finding the equation of a polynomial that passes through given points.
lezardo
Hi everyone! I recently started taking a basic linear algebra course at my university and I'm already having problems. I used to be pretty good at math in general, but I guess I've unlearned everything over the years. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A.
Two points on a plane with the coordinates (x0,y0) and (x1,y1) define a graph with the form:
y = c1x + c0 (polynomial of the 1. degree).

1)Formulate a system of linear equations to find the coefficients of this function.
2) Solve this system of equations to find the function which runs through the points (1;3) and (2;4).

B.
n + 1 points on a plane [(x0, y0), (x1, y1),…; (xn, yn)] define a polynomial of the nth degree:
y = cnx^n + …+ c2x^2 + c1x + c0.

1)Formulate a system of linear equations to find the coefficients of this polynomial.
2) Solve this system to find the polynomial which runs through the points (0;1), (1;10), (2,33) and (3,64).

P.S. Hints or something like that would also be great. It's really frustrating sitting here with nothing but "duhhhhh" in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand the question? It's asking you to find the equation of the polynomial whose graph passes through those points. Here is a hint on part A. The equation you are trying to find is y = c1x + c0 (you are trying to find the c's). You know that the point (x0, y0) satisfies this equation and so does (x1, y1). So you can write, for example
y0 = c1x0 + c0
where y0 and x0 are KNOWN and c1 and c0 are UNKNOWN.
Can you figure it out now?

Do you understand the question? It's asking you to find the equation of the polynomial whose graph passes through those points. Here is a hint on part A. The equation you are trying to find is y = c1x + c0 (you are trying to find the c's). You know that the point (x0, y0) satisfies this equation and so does (x1, y1). So you can write, for example
y0 = c1x0 + c0
where y0 and x0 are KNOWN and c1 and c0 are UNKNOWN.
Can you figure it out now?

Well, i feel stupid. It was staring me right in the face. Thanks a lot!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves operations on vectors and matrices to solve systems of linear equations and analyze geometric transformations.

2. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts form the foundation of understanding more advanced topics in linear algebra.

3. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, physics, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems related to data analysis, signal processing, image processing, and optimization, among others.

4. What are some common operations in linear algebra?

Some common operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, matrix multiplication, and matrix inversion. These operations are used to manipulate vectors and matrices to solve equations and analyze transformations.

5. What are the benefits of learning linear algebra?

Learning linear algebra can enhance problem-solving skills, improve logical and analytical thinking, and provide a strong foundation for more advanced math and science courses. It also has numerous practical applications in various fields and can help in understanding complex systems and data analysis.