Behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under acoustic wave

In summary, the author is asking for help finding study material on how objects, such as wires, respond to acoustic waves. Multiple frequencies are involved, and the author wants to know how the response changes with different frequencies.
Seanskahn
TL;DR Summary
How do complex shapes respond to acoustic waves?
Good day.

We know how simple objects, such as 1D wires behave when a simple harmonic wave travels along a wire, or two wires knotted togethe.We also know what happens if you excite a circular thin disc with a single frequency.

Are there some material I can read on, that considers the effect of exciting a stiff wire given by y = f(x) , for a polynomial or exponential function f, excited by an acoustic wave comprising of multiple frequencies?

While we are at it how does a surface given by z = f(x,y) respond if several acoustic waves are falling on it, each at a different point, each comprising of multiple frequencies?

I understand that an analytical solution would be very complicated.

I am not requesting you to solve it for me, I just want you to direct my to some study / research material in this direction.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you want to do a Frequency Response analysis using FEM. A surface can probably best be modeled by shell elements, so Timoshenko's canonical 'Theory of Plates & Shells' might be a good reference.

You can also model wires with FEM. So any reference on FEM theory, numerical analysis and theory of elasticity would help I guess. There are tons of books about that.

Seanskahn said:
How do complex shapes respond to acoustic waves?
Welcome to PF.
Complex shapes respond in complex ways.
The acoustic impedance and the degree of freedom at boundaries or attachment points will be important. You have no choice but to use FEM, or to build and test a model.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Complex shapes respond in complex ways.
The acoustic impedance and the degree of freedom at boundaries or attachment points will be important. You have no choice but to use FEM, or to build and test a model.
Thank you for your answer.
I know how to proceed now.
Enjoy your weekend.

1. How does an acoustic wave affect the behavior of a curved 2D sheet?

When an acoustic wave is applied to a curved 2D sheet, it causes the sheet to vibrate in a complex manner. The exact behavior of the sheet will depend on factors such as the amplitude and frequency of the wave, as well as the material properties of the sheet itself. However, in general, the sheet will experience bending, stretching, and shearing forces as a result of the acoustic wave.

2. What is the difference between the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave?

The main difference between the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave is their dimensional properties. A 2D sheet has two dimensions (length and width), while a 1D wire only has one dimension (length). This difference in dimensionality results in different modes of vibration and deformation when subjected to an acoustic wave.

3. Can the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave be predicted?

Yes, the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account factors such as the geometry of the sheet or wire, the material properties, and the properties of the acoustic wave. However, these predictions may not be exact due to the complex nature of the interactions between the wave and the structure.

4. How does the curvature of a 2D sheet or 1D wire affect its behavior under an acoustic wave?

The curvature of a 2D sheet or 1D wire can significantly affect its behavior under an acoustic wave. In general, a higher curvature will result in a stronger response to the wave, as the sheet or wire will experience greater bending and stretching forces. Additionally, the direction and orientation of the curvature can also impact the behavior of the structure under the wave.

5. What applications can the study of the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave have?

The study of the behavior of a curved 2D sheet and a curved 1D wire under an acoustic wave has various potential applications. Some examples include the design and optimization of acoustic devices, such as speakers and microphones, as well as the development of new materials with tailored acoustic properties. This research can also have implications in fields such as structural engineering and biomedical engineering.