Being a grad student during the summer

In summary: I'm not sure if the program still covers tuition, but it covered my stipend and fees for the summer classes I took this year. So it would be a good option for you if you're interested in taking classes during the summer.In summary, grad students in the summer have few options for getting assistance paying for their tuition. Some universities offer summer stipends, but these are usually not enough to cover the costs of tuition. Some students get summer jobs, but the economy is not good right now. Some universities have summer institutes that offer assistance with paying for tuition.
Topher925
Being a grad student during the summer...

Just curious as to what most of you non-RA grad students do during the summer semesters? I would like to take some classes this summer I'm but having a hard timing figuring out how to pay for them. There are usually TA positions open during the summer semesters at my school but they only pay a stipend and not tuition, so your basically SOL when it comes to financial aid unless your an RA. My school has no tuition assistant programs what so ever for its grad students and only offers low interest federal loans. I've applied to probably a dozen scholarships but of course only liberal art majors ever get those. Getting a part time job is questionable given the state of the economy. Do any universities offer help for their grad students during the summer months or do they usually just leave them to fend for themselves?

Physics news on Phys.org

Grad students get summer vacations? Since when?

My university (U of Michigan) had special first-summer stipends for all graduate students, to enable them to work with a research group and get some research experience without necessarily committing themselves to a specific field. I spent my first summer with the low-temperature group, because that was what I thought I was most interested in.

I ended up going into experimental high-energy particle physics for my Ph.D. partly because my first-summer supervisor saw that I was into computer programming, and suggested me to one of the experimental HEP people. That took care of my summers after the first one.

Great, another reason I should have gone to UofM. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I was there thirty years ago... I don't know if they still do it now!

They do...something like Rackham Summer Institute..

Well fortunately everything seems to be working out and I will be getting support from a TA and RA position and will be able to cover the costs of my tuition. I know of the Rackham thing but I thought that program only covered your stipend and not tuition for classes?

1. What do grad students typically do during the summer?

During the summer, grad students usually focus on conducting research, writing papers, and preparing for upcoming conferences or presentations. Some may also take summer courses or internships related to their field of study.

2. Is it common for grad students to take a break during the summer?

It is not uncommon for grad students to take a break during the summer, especially if they have been working nonstop during the academic year. However, many grad students use this time to make progress on their research or catch up on any unfinished work.

3. Do grad students still receive funding during the summer?

It depends on the funding source and the specific program. Some grad students may receive funding for the summer, while others may have to find other sources of income such as internships or part-time jobs.

4. Can grad students take vacations during the summer?

Yes, grad students are entitled to take vacations just like any other employee. However, it is important to plan ahead and make sure any deadlines or responsibilities are taken care of before leaving.

5. Are there any unique opportunities for grad students during the summer?

Yes, the summer can be a great time for grad students to participate in workshops, conferences, or other professional development opportunities. It is also a popular time for fieldwork or data collection for research projects.