Should i take trigonometry during the summer?

In summary, community college student wants to major in STEM field, but is struggling with pre-calculus class. He is considering either taking trigonometry over the summer and attending summer math academy, or taking trigonometry and other general education courses.
Amazedbyscience
So I am a community college student and I would like to major in something within the stem field. When I arrived at cc in fall of 2014, I took my school's math placement test and scored into intermediate algebra. I wasnt satisfied with this so i went to my school's summer math academy and retook the placement test. I scored into pre calculus. So i enrolled into that class and regretted it. I skipped intermediate algebra and trigonometry even though i failed trigonometry in high school. I ended up gettimg a C in pre calc. I then spoke with my friend who was taking calc amd he said that calc was different than pre calc. So i enrolled in the calc class, and that was a Huge mistake! It proved to be too challenging for me and i dropped it. So now i have the option of taking trigonometry over the summer and attending summer math academy or taking trigonometry and other general education courses. Math academy would help me understand pre calc but i wouldn't be able to take any general eds over the summer. Should i just focus on math over the summer or try to bring myself up to par in math and take a couple general ed courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take some algebra, even if only self taught, just to review and fill in the gaps in your knowledge, then Trig and precalc. From there you'll have a good idea of what to do and whether stem is for you.

Contrary to common perception, there really is no such mathematical area as "pre-calculus." Many schools have a pre-calculus course that is really just elements of both college algebra and trigonometry condensed into one course. Trigonometry is an incredibly important part of mathematics, and it deserves to be learned on its own. It becomes increasingly important as you move through the calculus sequence, and it's incredibly important in physics as well. Having a solid foundation in trig is essential.

I'd suggest taking trig over the summer, and doing whatever you can to brush up on your algebra skills.

Likes CalcNerd and Niflheim
Trig is very manageable in a short term like summer if you put in the time to learn it properly. And taking a gen ed with that isn't a bad idea. Echoing Curt, It's also just as important as algebra to understanding Calculus. Taking it should also brush you up on your algebra skills.

I know a guy at my CC who took up to precalc in high school but still started at algebra. I think this was the right decision since he now in differential equations is one of the stronger math students at our CC.(he is a tutor here and has been a big help to me in both physics and math) He is going to be going to Berkley in the fall. The foundations are very important and should not be overlooked.

I think the class quality at CC is also better then most high schools so its a good idea to get the foundations down.

Likes Niflheim and symbolipoint
Thank you to everyone who replied. I aprreciate your advice! I will be taking trig over the summer!

1. Should I take trigonometry during the summer?

It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. If you have a strong interest in math and want to get ahead in your studies, taking trigonometry during the summer can be a good idea. However, if you struggle with math or have a busy summer schedule, it may be better to wait and take the course during the regular school year.

2. Will taking trigonometry during the summer be more challenging?

It may be more challenging because the course may be condensed into a shorter time frame, so you will have to learn the material at a faster pace. However, if you have the motivation and discipline to stay on top of the material, it can also be a great opportunity to master the concepts and avoid forgetting them over a long break.

3. Will taking trigonometry during the summer save me time in the long run?

Yes, taking trigonometry during the summer can save you time in the long run. By completing the course during the summer, you can free up space in your schedule for other classes or activities during the school year. This can be especially beneficial if you want to take advanced math courses or have a heavy course load in the future.

4. Can I get the same quality of education by taking trigonometry during the summer?

It depends on the specific course and instructor. Some summer courses may be taught by experienced and qualified teachers, while others may be taught by newer or less experienced teachers. It's important to research the course and instructor beforehand to ensure you are getting the same quality of education.

5. Will taking trigonometry during the summer affect my college applications?

Most colleges will not differentiate between taking trigonometry during the summer or during the regular school year. However, if you are planning on applying to highly competitive schools, it may be beneficial to take the course during the school year to show your ability to handle a rigorous course load.