1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Moment Indeterminate Beam

1. Jul 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a 20' (240 inch) beam with supports at 0in., 80 in., 160 in., 240 in. I need to give the beam a rating (maximum load; capacity) since it is a monorail for a 3 ton hoist. I've asked the question to my prof (his work is attached).

2. Relevant equations

I understand what the graphs represent (Bending moment due to dead load, and bending moment due to concentrated force) but I can't figure out he he got the max values (coefficients): ie. 0.08*Wdl*l^2, 0.1*Wdl*l^2, 0.025*Wdl*l^2 and second graph.. 0.07Pl, 0.175Pl, 0.075Pl

Also how does he know these act at the same position? Ie: M1, M2, M3 so that he can add them?

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the beam is statically indeterminate to the 2nd degree, it is a tedious task to calculate the bending moments using deflection-compatability analyses or some other method, so I am sure that the prof looked up these values (coefficients) in a handbook table somewhere, for both the uniform distributed load and the concentrated load at mid-point. By the superposition principle, the moments at any point under each load case can simply be added up. He examined 3 different possible points for max moment to determine the value of the maximum load P .

4. Jul 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks that explains everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook