Bending Titanium bar using appropriate press tonnage?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in calculating the necessary force or press tonnage needed to bend a solid titanium bar with specific dimensions. They also mention needing further information for a more accurate approximation, such as the specific titanium alloy, material grade, heat treatment condition, and a link to the tensile yield strength of the titanium rod.
b0048957
Hi I am new to this site, but would be very grateful if someone could steer me in the right direction to calculate the following:

Currently within my work area I have been asked to look into Titanium forming - I am just trying to approximate how much force or press tonnage would be sufficient to bend a solid titanium bar with dimensions of 12.7mm diameter by 215mm in length?

Any further info please let me know, or what I need to obtain to get a good approximation of tonnage from a forge press.

Engineering news on Phys.org
b0048957: Which titanium alloy? Ti-6Al-4V? What material grade? What material specification number? What material heat treatment condition? Annealed? Or solution treated and aged? Can you provide a link to the tensile yield strength of your titanium rod?

1. How do you determine the appropriate press tonnage for bending titanium bars?

The appropriate press tonnage for bending titanium bars depends on several factors such as the diameter and thickness of the bar, the type and condition of the press machine, and the desired bend angle. It is typically determined through a trial and error process, where the press tonnage is gradually increased until the desired bend is achieved without causing any damage to the bar or the machine.

2. Can titanium bars be bent using a regular press machine?

Yes, titanium bars can be bent using a regular press machine. However, special precautions need to be taken due to the unique properties of titanium, such as its high strength and low ductility. It is important to use appropriate press tonnage, lubricants, and tooling to prevent any damage to the bar or the machine.

3. What type of lubricant should be used for bending titanium bars?

The type of lubricant used for bending titanium bars depends on the specific application and the type of press machine being used. Generally, a water-based lubricant or a combination of oils and waxes are recommended to reduce friction and prevent galling, which can cause surface defects on the titanium bar.

4. Is heat required for bending titanium bars?

In most cases, heat is not required for bending titanium bars. However, for thicker or more complex bends, a slight amount of heat may be used to make the bending process easier. It is important to carefully control the temperature and avoid overheating, as excessive heat can cause the titanium to lose its strength and become more prone to cracking.

5. What are the common challenges when bending titanium bars?

Bending titanium bars can be challenging due to their high strength and low ductility. Some common challenges include cracking, springback, and surface defects such as galling or scratches. It is important to use proper techniques and equipment to overcome these challenges and produce high-quality bent titanium bars.