Maximum bending moment and radius of curvature for 125mm diameter bar

  • Thread starter Thread starter Confusedbiomedeng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bending Moments
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Confusedbiomedeng

Homework Statement


a round bar,125mm in diameter , is to be used as a beam. if youngs modulus for the material E=200x103 N/mm2
Calculate:
i)Maximum allowable bending moment(12marks)
ii)The radius of curvature at the point of maximum bending moment(8marks)

Homework Equations


σ/y=m/I=E/R
I=πD4/64[/B]
y=125/2

The Attempt at a Solution


i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
0.28x11984224=3355582.72Nmm=M
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Confusedbiomedeng said:

Homework Equations


σ/y=m/I=E/R
I=πD4/64[/B]
y=125/2

The Attempt at a Solution


i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
0.28x11984224=3355582.72Nmm=M
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ?
Can you put some units onto your workings out? It would be easier to follow what you are doing (for us and for you).
 
scottdave said:
Can you put some units onto your workings out? It would be easier to follow what you are doing (for us and for you).
in the final answers i have them put in ?? should i put them in throughout the workings??
 
Confusedbiomedeng said:
in the final answers i have them put in ?? should i put them in throughout the workings??
It would help me to figure out what you were doing.
 
Confusedbiomedeng said:
y=125/2

The Attempt at a Solution


i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
0.28x11984224=3355582.72Nmm=M
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ?
So where did the 17.5 come from? I am guessing it is σ. It would be nice to eliminate guessing, when figuring out where you are going wrong.
 
scottdave said:
So where did the 17.5 come from? I am guessing it is σ. It would be nice to eliminate guessing, when figuring out where you are going wrong.
Yes it is stated in the question and I forgot to put it in so 17.5n/mm2 then y is 125/2 because everything is in mm2 so I don't need to change the diameter . I ,I worked out by ∏(1254)/64 but now I'm wondering should the equation for I be ∏(D4)/32?? So sorry for any confusion
 
I confirm you calculation of the bending moment, and I confirm the factor of 64 in the denominator. But the equation for the radius of curvature should be $$R=\frac{Er}{\sigma}$$where r is the radius of the bar.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
Chestermiller said:
I confirm you calculation of the bending moment, and I confirm the factor of 64 in the denominator. But the equation for the radius of curvature should be $$R=\frac{Er}{\sigma}$$where r is the radius of the bar.
Ok could you just explain why that equation and not M/I =E/R? And so I have the right answer for the allowable bending moment
 
Confusedbiomedeng said:
Ok could you just explain why that equation and not M/I =E/R?
It's that too. I just found it easier to calculate it the other way.