Convert solid shaft to hollow shaft

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the dimensions of a hollow shaft to replace a solid one, with a known external-to-internal diameter ratio. The participants discuss equations for bending stress and bending moment, as well as the conservation of the second moment of area for the shaft. The final relationship between the solid shaft diameter and the hollow shaft outside diameter is determined to be OD = (OD4 - ID4) / Ds3.
spikeybrummy
I have a "bending stress" question, which is causing me "actual stress"...
I have a solid 30m Aluminium shaft, which I need to replace with an equivalent hollow shaft, but I am having difficulty in calculating the internal and external diameters.

The solid shaft diameter is 0.118m, and all I know about the hollow shaft is that the external diameter should be 2.5 times greater than the internal diameter.

I worked out the second moment of area for the solid shaft (9.5*10^-6), but can't seem to find the right way of using this to find the hollow shaft dimensions.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Been a long time since I did anything like this so I might be wrong but..

Have you got equations for the bending stress (F) developed in terms of applied bending moment(M) for both hollow and solid?
Presumably the ratio of F/M for both needs to be the same so equate.
See what cancels.
Substitute ID = OD/2.5

Something like that anyway.

Sounds like you'd just be inevitably conserving the second moment of area for the shaft such that Isolid = Ihollow and for a shaft I = πD4/4

I found..

For solid
FS = 32M/(pi * Ds3)
and for hollow
FH = 32MOD/(Pi(OD4 - ID4)

where
F = bending stress
M = bending moment
Ds = diameter of solid
OD = Outside Diamater of hollow shaft
ID = Inside Diamater of hollow shaft

If you rearrange these to give the ratio F/M for both and equate it simplifies to :

OD = (OD4 - ID4) / Ds3

Can then substitute for ID = OD / 2.5 to give an equation for the OD of the hollow shaft in terms of the diameter for the solid.

but as I said it's been a long time since I did this. Does it even make sense to preserve the ratio of F/M ?

Edit: Oops I'd better check my working as it looks like the OD of the hollow shaft gets smaller as the solid one gets bigger.

What was the final relationship between solid shaft dia.and hollow shaft outside dia

1. What is the purpose of converting a solid shaft to a hollow shaft?

The purpose of converting a solid shaft to a hollow shaft is to reduce the weight of the shaft while maintaining its strength and stiffness. This can be beneficial in various applications, such as in the aerospace industry where weight reduction is a critical factor.

2. How is a solid shaft converted to a hollow shaft?

A solid shaft can be converted to a hollow shaft by drilling or machining out the center of the shaft, leaving only a thin outer wall. This process can also be done by using a tube to replace the solid shaft, or by casting the shaft with a hollow center.

3. What materials are commonly used for hollow shafts?

Common materials used for hollow shafts include steel, aluminum, titanium, and composites. The material chosen depends on the specific application and the desired properties of the shaft, such as strength, weight, and corrosion resistance.

4. What are the advantages of using a hollow shaft over a solid shaft?

There are several advantages of using a hollow shaft over a solid shaft. These include weight reduction, increased stiffness, and improved damping characteristics. Hollow shafts also have a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making them more efficient in transmitting torque.

5. What factors should be considered when converting a solid shaft to a hollow shaft?

When converting a solid shaft to a hollow shaft, factors such as the application, required strength, and weight limitations should be considered. The material and manufacturing process used should also be carefully chosen to ensure the desired properties are achieved. It is important to consult with an engineer or expert in the field to determine the best approach for converting a solid shaft to a hollow shaft.