Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School

In summary, Berkeley's Mathematics Grad School requirements for Ph.D students include the option to learn 2 out of 3 languages: French, German, and Russian. This information can be found in the Grad_Student_Handbook.pdf, which also specifies that language exams can be taken during graduate school or undergraduate studies. However, the requirement is not as daunting as it may seem, as it only involves being able to translate a foreign paper into English with the aid of a dictionary. It is still recommended to have a good understanding of the chosen language.
JasonJo
I was looking on Berkeley's Mathematics Grad School requirements for Ph.D students, and they require you learn 2 of 3 languages: French, German and Russian. anyone go to Berkeley and can confirm this??

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's posted, it's probably posted for a reason...

From what I have seen, many Math Ph.D programs in the US seem to require at least 1 of: French, German, Russian.

I believe Berkeley actually requires you to take language exams. However, some schools just require you to have taken 3 or 4 semesters of the foreign language, and others want you to translate a few pages of some math journal from whatever language to English.

do you take the language exams/courses in grad school or in undergrad?

JasonJo said:
I was looking on Berkeley's Mathematics Grad School requirements for Ph.D students, and they require you learn 2 of 3 languages: French, German and Russian. anyone go to Berkeley and can confirm this??
It is true...sort of. You don't have to be fluent in the languages. You essentially only have to be able to translate a foreign paper into English while using a dictionary. That's the "test". It's not anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

Of course that doesn't mean you should avoid actually learning a language well. When I saw that requirement a couple years back, I started learning German. Now I'm studying here in Berlin. Funny where math takes you.

What is the application process for Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School?

The application process for Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School involves submitting an online application, submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. After initial review, some applicants may be invited for an interview.

What are the requirements for admission to Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School?

The requirements for admission to Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School include a strong background in mathematics, a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited institution, and strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, applicants are expected to have a high GPA and competitive GRE scores.

What types of financial aid are available for graduate students at Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School?

Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School offers a variety of financial aid options, including fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. These financial aid packages typically cover tuition and fees as well as provide a stipend for living expenses.

What is the average time to complete a graduate degree at Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School?

The average time to complete a graduate degree at Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School is around 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and individual progress. Some students may complete their degree in as little as 4 years, while others may take longer.

What are some notable alumni from Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School?

Some notable alumni from Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School include Fields Medal winners Terence Tao and Vaughan Jones, as well as renowned mathematicians like David Eisenbud and Karen Uhlenbeck. Many alumni have gone on to successful careers in academia, industry, and government research institutions.