1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Berkeley Mathematics Graduate School

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    I was looking on Berkeley's Mathematics Grad School requirements for Ph.D students, and they require you learn 2 of 3 languages: French, German and Russian. anyone go to Berkeley and can confirm this??

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2
    If it's posted, it's probably posted for a reason...

4. May 13, 2006 #3
    From what I have seen, many Math Ph.D programs in the US seem to require at least 1 of: French, German, Russian.

I believe Berkeley actually requires you to take language exams. However, some schools just require you to have taken 3 or 4 semesters of the foreign language, and others want you to translate a few pages of some math journal from whatever language to English.

5. May 14, 2006 #4
    do you take the language exams/courses in grad school or in undergrad???

6. May 15, 2006 #5
  7. May 15, 2006 #6
    It is true....sort of. You don't have to be fluent in the languages. You essentially only have to be able to translate a foreign paper into English while using a dictionary. That's the "test". It's not anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

Of course that doesn't mean you should avoid actually learning a language well. When I saw that requirement a couple years back, I started learning German. Now I'm studying here in Berlin. Funny where math takes you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?