1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernouilli's principle and downforces

1. Jun 13, 2006 #1
    Ok need some help here with downforce:

So far what i understand is that due to the different areas which air have to cover, when it goes over a surface with a larger area at the same time where the otherside has a smaller area the top will have a greater velocity and due to Bernoullis Principle it will have a decrease in pressure.

Vice-versa for the bottom side.

What i don't understand is how the force is applied?

From Wikipedia.org i found this image here:

Which is the equation for determining Lift. Would downforce just be negative lift? Another two things which i dont understand in that equation is the "frontier of the domain? and the last three terms.

Is there a simple way of explaining downforce using Bernoulli's Principle and say the equation for Pressure; P=F/A ?

There is also the variable of "angle of attack" which i understand to be the angle at which the air "hits" the object.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted