1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's law in a network of a tube and a reservoir

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am looking at the following system:
    Hl9Hfd2.jpg

It shows a pore/tube (B) which is attached to a reservoir A. The fluid in reservoir A has a non-zero velocity in the horizontal direction, but I assume that the tube B is so long that the velocity there is unaffected and still zero.

Based on Bernoulli's law, can I conclude that the pressure in reservoir A is lower than that in tube B due to the velocity difference?

Note that i neglect the effects of gravity etc., I assume the system is in a plane.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think so. Bernoulli's law is for a streamline. Fluid flowing in A and that residing in B are in different streamlines.
    If the pipe A broadens further along and is then exposed to an ambient pressure also applying at the far end of B, you can invoke the Venturi effect.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    If B is assumed to be long and therefore velocity 0, would there be a relative height in your Bernoulii equation that accounts for the weight of the fluid in B? Higher velocity in A would cause a the fluid in B to rise

EDIT: Nevermind I see you are neglecting gravity, did not read that part!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted