Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel's ODE: Why does taking ν≥0 matter? It is squared anyway.

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    In Bessel's ODE [itex][/itex] [itex]x^{2}y''+xy''+(x^{2}-\nu^{2})y=0[/itex], why must [itex]\nu[/itex] not be less than zero?

I have looked it up, but I do not find a satisfying answer anywhere.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general ##\nu## can be any complex number.

But in the most common applications, it is a real integer or half-integer.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    My instructor told me that ##\nu## has to be a non-negative real number (i.e. ##\nu## ≥ 0). Do you have any idea why he said that?

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here, you are assuming that the coefficients, including [itex]\nu[itex], are real. Because [itex]\nu[/itex] is squared, it does not matter whether it is positive or negative, we must get the same solutions. It is simplest to assume it is positive, knowing that if it is, in fact, negative we will get the same solutions anyway.

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the equation is modeling some physical system, it could be because of the physics, or the boundary conditions for the solutions that you want to find.

But there is no mathematical reason why ##\nu## has to be real, rather than complex.

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6
    I thought [itex]\nu[/itex] can be +ve or -ve. You have Bessel Function in negative order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook