Best book on Modern Physics? 5 choices, suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding introductory books on modern physics that cover the history and experiments that led to the understanding of the atom, electron, Planck's constant, and other theories. Several book recommendations are mentioned, including "Modern Physics from A to Z", "Principles of Modern Physics", "Introduction to Modern Physics", "Atomic Physics", and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers". Additionally, a suggestion for a popular science book called "The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments" is also mentioned.
christian0710
Hi everyone, I'm looking for an introductury book (or several books) on modern physics that explains the history
and experiments the led to the understanding of the atom, the electron, avogadros number, Plancks constant, rutherford, quantum mechanics etc.

I want an idea of how all the theories were developped (the history) and then a book on how the experiments were preformed.

Books I've considered

Modern Physics from a to Z - James William
Principles of Modern Physics - Robert Leighton
Introduction To Modern Physics: Theoretical Foundations - John Dirk
Modern Physics - Taylor John R
Atomic Physics - Max Born.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another book you might consider would be Serway, Moses and Moyer or the book by Tipler. If I remember correctly Tipler has the best diagrams of the original experiments. Serway, Moses and Moyer is an overview of everything. There is also the well-known book of Eisberg and Resnick's, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles, which starts with Planck in 1900.

Likes christian0710
I took my Modern Physics course in the Fall of 2014 and we used the Tipler and Llewellyn Modern Physics book (5th ed.) I found diagrams and explanations of certain phenomena such as particle in the box quite helpful. Here's the 5th ed: pdf : http://web.pdx.edu/~pmoeck/books/Tipler_Llewellyn.pdf

Likes Dannalee Jayvia and christian0710
Physics for Scientists and Engineers, by Tipler does a pretty good job of discussing the classical experiments that led to some of the bigger discoveries in physics. The discussion of the earliest measurements of the speed of light were very interesting. Early experiments looking for the charge of an electron and various other findings are discussed as well. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/142920124X/?tag=pfamazon01-20This isn't a textbook, but if you're interested in a more 'popular science' account of many of these same experiments, the book 'The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments' by George Johnson is a really interesting read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/140003423X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Dannalee Jayvia

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about modern physics?

The best book for beginners to learn about modern physics would be "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the key concepts and theories of modern physics in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

2. Which book on modern physics covers both theory and experiments?

"Modern Physics: The Quantum Physics of Atoms, Solids, and Nuclei" by Robert Eisberg and Robert Resnick is a great choice for those looking for a book that covers both theory and experiments in modern physics. It offers a balanced approach and includes many relevant experiments and examples.

3. Is there a book on modern physics that focuses on the latest research and developments in the field?

"Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos is a highly recommended book for those interested in the latest research and developments in modern physics. It covers topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics, with a focus on current research and applications.

4. Can you suggest a book on modern physics that is easy to understand for non-physicists?

For non-physicists looking to learn about modern physics, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is a great choice. It explains complex concepts such as string theory and the nature of the universe in a way that is accessible and engaging for non-experts.

5. Which book on modern physics is recommended for advanced readers?

"Modern Physics" by Kenneth Krane is a highly recommended book for advanced readers who already have a strong foundation in physics. It covers advanced topics such as nuclear structure, particle physics, and cosmology, and is often used as a textbook in graduate-level courses.