Best Calculus of variations (Sturm Liouville Theory) textbook?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
ksnaz12
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi, I have a course on calculus of variations and Sturm Liouville theory and was wondering if anyone had any good textbook suggestions? If they had questions and solutions it would be a bonus! I have put all the subtopics of the course below.

Calculus of variations
Variation subject to constraint
Sturm Liouville theory
Green functions

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in graduate school I remember this book being pretty useful
Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics (Dover Books on Physics): Sagan, Hans: 9780486661322: Amazon.com: Books
although I haven't looked at it in 20 years. It starts with the calculus of variations, then uses it as the framework to discuss boundary value problems. You can view the table of contents here
Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics (eBook) (doverpublications.com)

I also agree with caz that the Green's function book by Greenberg is very good - it is one of the most approachable introductions to the subject. I have looked at several of Greenberg's books and they are all good. He doesn't try to impress the reader with extra rigor or cleverness, but instead tries to explain things in a way that is easy for non-mathematicians to understand.

jason