1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best career to pursue?

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    Hello! I'm a highschool student that will graduate soon and I'm very good in Math, Chemistry, Physics, and Basic C++ Programming(A on all these subjects).

My question is what is the best course or career that I can take? My teachers told me to be an electrical engineer. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

fss

The best career is the one that interests you most.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    It's really up to you. Do some research on potential majors, for example, electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, physics, math, mechanical engineering and other technical majors. University websites usually have a list of possible careers or career opportunities of individual majors, so I'd start with that.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

your best course of action is to get into a school where you can develop a custom major to encompass those areas. when you get done, you'll figure out a career path.

6. Jan 22, 2012 #5
    Your teachers were very wise to tell you to become an electrical engineer. They likely realize we're in a crappy economy, (especially given their circumstance as high school faculty) and that electrical engineering, while still reconciling your love of math/natural science, will keep you in very good shape financially. I suggest you listen to them. Get an engineering/computer science B.S/E if you want to save yourself from disappointment later. Wish I had wise teachers like that back in high school..

Cyber

7. Jan 22, 2012 #6
    Thanks. So I guess I'll get electrical engineering.

8. Jan 22, 2012 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Rather than take the advice of some random people on the internet, I would suggest that you job shadow an electrical engineer or two for a day so that you can see what the jobs within that profession really entail.

There is no single "best" career. The answer is different for everyone, and for some (most) people it will change through their lives. If you're not completely sure what you want to do, you may want to take a general year of science or engineering at university that will keep as many doors as possible open, and while you're doing that keep investigating. Once you've got a year of university under your belt, you might find that your true strengths narrow into one or two particular areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook