Best layman non mathematical interesting book on Ray and wave optics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Viishnuuu
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
A book on optics which is less mathematical maybe a similar one to physics for poets or gamow gravity classics
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't pick it as a first book, but as a second companion book, QED by Feynman is great. I'd upgrade that to a first pick if you want to get a feel for the quantum basis of optics first. The intuition for QED the way Feynman presents it overlaps a lot with classical optics intuition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Viishnuuu and hutchphd
Viishnuuu said:
A book on optics which is less mathematical maybe a similar one to physics for poets or gamow gravity classics
I can't tell what level you want based on your post (less mathematical than what?), but I did the following Google search and got some promising hits. Note that often Amazon books have a "Look Inside" feature that let's you look at the Table of Contents in the book and maybe a few pages to get a feel for the book...

1630352164918.png
 
Here's the Look Inside at the Table of Contents for the "Optics for Dummies" book:

1630352489445.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
The Bill said:
I wouldn't pick it as a first book, but as a second companion book, QED by Feynman is great. I'd upgrade that to a first pick if you want to get a feel for the quantum basis of optics first. The intuition for QED the way Feynman presents it overlaps a lot with classical optics intuition.
But the quantum electrodynamics textbook by Feynman is surprisingly old fashioned. It's the only book by Feynman I was disappointed about. Instead of getting Feynman at his best, you get Fermi (which was very good in 1932 but not after Feynman). I suppose we talk about the textbook on QED:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0201360756/
 
vanhees71 said:
But the quantum electrodynamics textbook by Feynman is surprisingly old fashioned. It's the only book by Feynman I was disappointed about. Instead of getting Feynman at his best, you get Fermi (which was very good in 1932 but not after Feynman). I suppose we talk about the textbook on QED:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0201360756/
You're referring to a different book than I was.

I'm not talking about Quantum Electrodynamics(1962.)

I was referring to the popular science book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter(1985.)

I know in technical terms QED and Quantum Electrodynamics are synonyms, but since QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter is much more widely known, I figured using part of its exact title would not be confusing. Also, I assumed that the fact that the one I meant obviously fits the OP's criteria, and the other obviously does not would mean there wouldn't be any risk of confusion.

Oops. My bad.