Best layman non mathematical interesting book on Ray and wave optics

In summary: So, as I said previously, QED by Feynman is a great companion book for a deeper understanding of the quantum basis of optics. In summary, for those looking for a book on optics that is not too mathematical and is easily understandable, QED by Feynman is a great choice to supplement with a first book on the subject. It provides a strong intuition for quantum electrodynamics, which overlaps with classical optics.
Viishnuuu
A book on optics which is less mathematical maybe a similar one to physics for poets or gamow gravity classics

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't pick it as a first book, but as a second companion book, QED by Feynman is great. I'd upgrade that to a first pick if you want to get a feel for the quantum basis of optics first. The intuition for QED the way Feynman presents it overlaps a lot with classical optics intuition.

Likes Viishnuuu and hutchphd
Viishnuuu said:
A book on optics which is less mathematical maybe a similar one to physics for poets or gamow gravity classics
I can't tell what level you want based on your post (less mathematical than what?), but I did the following Google search and got some promising hits. Note that often Amazon books have a "Look Inside" feature that let's you look at the Table of Contents in the book and maybe a few pages to get a feel for the book...

1630352164918.png

Here's the Look Inside at the Table of Contents for the "Optics for Dummies" book:

1630352489445.png

Likes Demystifier
The Bill said:
I wouldn't pick it as a first book, but as a second companion book, QED by Feynman is great. I'd upgrade that to a first pick if you want to get a feel for the quantum basis of optics first. The intuition for QED the way Feynman presents it overlaps a lot with classical optics intuition.
But the quantum electrodynamics textbook by Feynman is surprisingly old fashioned. It's the only book by Feynman I was disappointed about. Instead of getting Feynman at his best, you get Fermi (which was very good in 1932 but not after Feynman). I suppose we talk about the textbook on QED:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0201360756/

vanhees71 said:
But the quantum electrodynamics textbook by Feynman is surprisingly old fashioned. It's the only book by Feynman I was disappointed about. Instead of getting Feynman at his best, you get Fermi (which was very good in 1932 but not after Feynman). I suppose we talk about the textbook on QED:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0201360756/
You're referring to a different book than I was.

I'm not talking about Quantum Electrodynamics(1962.)

I was referring to the popular science book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter(1985.)

I know in technical terms QED and Quantum Electrodynamics are synonyms, but since QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter is much more widely known, I figured using part of its exact title would not be confusing. Also, I assumed that the fact that the one I meant obviously fits the OP's criteria, and the other obviously does not would mean there wouldn't be any risk of confusion.

Oops. My bad.

Ah yes. That's one of the better popular-science books indeed.

Likes Mr.Husky

1. What is the best book for understanding the basics of ray and wave optics without a strong mathematical background?

One highly recommended book for laymen interested in learning about ray and wave optics is "Light: A Very Short Introduction" by Ian Walmsley. This book provides a clear and concise overview of the key concepts and principles of optics without relying heavily on mathematical equations.

2. Can you recommend a book that explains the applications of ray and wave optics in everyday life?

"The Magic of Light: An Introduction to the Science of Optics" by John Walker is a great book for exploring the practical applications of ray and wave optics in our daily lives. It covers topics such as lenses, mirrors, and optical instruments in a reader-friendly manner.

3. Is there a book that discusses the history and development of ray and wave optics?

"The History of Optics: From Greek Antiquity to the Nineteenth Century" by Olivier Darrigol is a fascinating read for those interested in the historical roots of optics. It delves into the contributions of ancient civilizations, such as the Greeks and Egyptians, and follows the evolution of optics through the centuries.

4. Are there any books that use real-life examples to explain concepts in ray and wave optics?

"Exploring Everyday Optics: A Hands-On Look at Light" by Rebecca Olien is a great resource for understanding optics through hands-on experiments and activities. It uses everyday objects and scenarios to explain concepts such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

5. Can you recommend a book that covers both ray and wave optics in depth?

"Optics: Learning by Computing, with Examples Using Mathcad" by Karl Dieter Moeller is a comprehensive book that covers both ray and wave optics in detail. It includes mathematical equations, but also provides step-by-step explanations and practical examples to aid in understanding the concepts.