Best books to study Oscillations and Waves

In summary, the conversation is about the individual's search for a book on the topic of oscillations and waves, specifically for preparation for a Physics Masters Entrance Exam in India. The individual's coaching institute has suggested four books, but they want to do more research before purchasing any of them. They are looking for a simple and understandable book, similar to "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by DJ Griffiths. They mention the syllabus they need to cover for the exam and express concern about the lower ratings of books on this topic. They consider purchasing a general physics book, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway, but decide not to due to already having a lot of books. The individual mentions
Slimy0233
I was studying for a Physics Masters Entrance Exams (India) and my coaching institute basically suggested me these books:
1685533305488.png

I actually have regretted buying books without prior research in the past, so I am making sure I do my fair share of research before buying any of these or something better.

The list given by my institute contains these 4 books
1. Waves and Oscillations - Brij Lal and Subrahmanyam
2. Oscillations and Waves - Suresh Garg, C.K Ghosh and Sanjay Gupta
3. Oscillations, Waves and Accoustics - P.K Mittal
4. Vibrations and Waves - A.P French

I was wondering which of these to buy. I want a simple book which can help me understand stuff easily like Introduction to Electrodynamics by DJ Griffiths, I love and adore this book.

The Syllabus I have to cover

Oscillations and Waves Syllabus:
1685533360429.png

Also, I don't know why, but many books relating to Waves and Oscillations are rated relatively poorly (when compared to other Physics books) on amazon.in.
While generally, famous Physics textbooks get a rating a of 4.5+, many books relative to oscillations and waves have gotten, 4 star ratings. So, I felt this post was somewhat necessary.

PS: I did search for books of Oscillations and Waves on Reddit and on Physicsforums, but I didn't get many results, so I have made a post here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a feeling that a general physics book, such as Serway's Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics would be helpful for you. And no need to go with the latest edition. You can find older editions (used) for next to nothing.

The only textbook with this very general topic "Oscillations of Waves" I know is the corresponding volume of the Berkeley physics course, which I found pretty good in the beginning of my physics studies. Otherwise you get waves in nearly any subtopic of physics. In the standard curriculum of universities usually you get it in mechanics starting with the harmonic oscillator and then there's also the pendulum as one example for a non-linear equation. Waves you get it first of course in the classical electromagnetism lecture and then in terms of Schrödinger's wave equation in the QM 1 lecture.

DrClaude said:
I have a feeling that a general physics book, such as Serway's Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics would be helpful for you. And no need to go with the latest edition. You can find older editions (used) for next to nothing.
I prefer to buy new books Dr.

Moreover, I really would love to buy Physics for Scientists and Engineers but just not now unfortunately (I am swamped with n number of books already,) so yeah, I was searching for a book on this particular topic

vanhees71 said:
The only textbook with this very general topic "Oscillations of Waves" I know is the corresponding volume of the Berkeley physics course, which I found pretty good in the beginning of my physics studies. Otherwise you get waves in nearly any subtopic of physics. In the standard curriculum of universities usually you get it in mechanics starting with the harmonic oscillator and then there's also the pendulum as one example for a non-linear equation. Waves you get it first of course in the classical electromagnetism lecture and then in terms of Schrödinger's wave equation in the QM 1 lecture.
As much as I wanted to buy this, I didn't have enough money to do that. I bought AP French's Oscillations and Waves

Likes vanhees71
Slimy0233 said:
As much as I wanted to buy this, I didn't have enough money to do that. I bought AP French's Oscillations and Waves
How is it?

Muu9 said:
How is it?
I won't know. I haven't got it yet. Will update once I get it delivered

1. What are some of the best books to study Oscillations and Waves?

Some of the best books to study Oscillations and Waves include "Introduction to Wave Phenomena" by Hirose and "Vibrations and Waves" by A.P. French.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners studying Oscillations and Waves?

Yes, "Oscillations and Waves: An Introduction" by Richard Fitzpatrick is a highly recommended textbook for beginners studying Oscillations and Waves.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study Oscillations and Waves?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics to study Oscillations and Waves. Many textbooks on the subject provide clear explanations and examples that can be easily understood by those with a basic understanding of algebra and calculus.

4. Are there any online resources or study guides available for Oscillations and Waves?

Yes, there are several online resources and study guides available for Oscillations and Waves, such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and other materials to aid in understanding the subject.

5. Can studying Oscillations and Waves be useful in real-world applications?

Yes, understanding Oscillations and Waves can be useful in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and even music. It is a fundamental concept that is used in various fields to understand and analyze different phenomena.