Best permanent magnet arrangement?

• Thread starter George-M
  • Start date
George-M
If I have a block of N52 and I want to make it's magnetic field as strong as possible, would a Halbach array give me this maximum or is there a different pole arrangement/array that would provide this? I'm thinking for the use in a motor, so the field doesn't have to be large. A close field (≤10mm) is all that is necessary.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
What do you mean by a "block" of N52? What shape?

In general, you want to have an almost-closed magnetic path to maximize the field strength in a small gap.

George-M
What do you mean by a "block" of N52? What shape?

In general, you want to have an almost-closed magnetic path to maximize the field strength in a small gap.

The shape really doesn't matter. Whatever shape is best.

Could you explain a closed magnetic circuit to me?

To my understanding, a closed magnetic circuit would be where the magnets are in direct contact. I can only assume that an almost-closed magnetic circuit would be where the magnets are as close as possible to one another.

If I've understood this correct, how would I increase the field strength even further to maximize it's capabilities?

What I originally meant by a block was that I can cut up the block to form smaller shapes with the magnetic poles in any orientation/ at any angle. My point was that I can make an array of magnets from the block but how could I utilise the physics to create the strongest possible magnet?

Before I forget, thank you ever so much for your fast response. Greatly appreciated.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
He means something like this. The field in the small gap in the C will be high.

1573686806027.png

berkeman
Mentor
Perfect answer by @anorlunda

So if you only have a cubic "block" of the permanent magnet material, how would you add 3-4 pieces of a ferrous material (that is below its saturation flux density) to route and focus that strong magnetic flux into your working gap? Can you post a sketch? :smile:

Suggested for: Best permanent magnet arrangement?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post