Best physics textbooks for self-study

In summary, for self-study of quantum physics, special and general relativity, and cosmology/astrophysics, the recommended textbooks are Shankar or Griffiths for Quantum Mechanics, French for Special Relativity, Carroll for General Relativity (with some background in Lagrangian mechanics and E&M), and Carroll&Ostlie for Astrophysics. These recommendations take into account the inquirer's background in pure math and basic knowledge of classical mechanics and thermodynamics.
Martin_G
Greetings all,

Which textbooks do you recommend for self-study of

1. quantum physics
2. relativity, both special and general
3. cosmology/astrophysics

Please take into account that I am a masters student in pure math, so "mathematical maturity" is not an issue (hopefully). Otherwise, I have basic knowledge of basic physics but practically no knowledge of advanced physics.

Thank you for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your current level of physics? (How much E&M / Class Mech Have you done? Thermodynamics / Stat mech?)

nicksauce said:
What is your current level of physics? (How much E&M / Class Mech Have you done? Thermodynamics / Stat mech?)

I've taken basic classical mechanics and thermodynamics. I know practically nothing about E&M and statistical mechanics.

My opinion:

Shankar or Griffiths for Quantum Mechanics, French for Special Relativity, Carroll for General Relativity (but you'll need a bit of Lagrangian mechanics and E&M background first), Carroll&Ostlie for Astro

1. What are the key features to look for in a physics textbook for self-study?

The key features to look for in a physics textbook for self-study include clear and concise explanations, relevant and up-to-date content, practice problems and exercises, and supplemental resources such as online tutorials or interactive simulations.

2. Are there any specific textbooks that are highly recommended for self-study in physics?

Some popular and highly recommended physics textbooks for self-study include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math before starting self-study in physics?

While a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of all mathematical concepts before starting self-study in physics. Many textbooks provide a review of relevant math concepts and equations, and there are also online resources available for brushing up on specific math skills.

4. Can physics textbooks for self-study be used as a supplement to a traditional classroom course?

Yes, physics textbooks for self-study can be a valuable supplement to a traditional classroom course. They can provide additional explanations and practice problems for students who want to enhance their understanding of the material or for those who need extra help outside of class.

5. How can I determine which physics textbook is best for my specific needs?

To determine which physics textbook is best for your specific needs, consider your learning style, level of understanding, and goals for self-study. It may also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or professors in the field.