1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Text For Analysis Self-Study

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    Any recommendation's for a good textbook to study analysis solo? I know that there is Rudin & Apostol, although i'm sure there more "user friendly" introductory books.

I was thinking about picking up baby Rudin to attempt the material. Since i'm going to be taking Calculus III(vector) next semester, I was also thinking about buying Spivak's Calculus book to re-learn the old stuff as well as go along with the new stuff to gain more insight on the theory behind the material......as it would be beneficial for when I take analysis later on.

Any input?

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2
    Ross' Elementary Analysis--that's the text I'm using now for the class. One thing that bears mentioning is that geometric arguments don't appear quite often in Ross (and never in Rudin), so you HAVE to supply those for your own. Since you'll be working on the real line if you use Ross, geometric interpretations can be quite easy to supply (and visualize), so don't miss on those opportunities.

It goes without saying that Analysis is a subject best studied under the guidance an instructor. That is especially true if the subject matter is your first brush with proofs and proof-writing.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check out Marsden & Hoffman's Elementary Classical Analysis.

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I highly recommend spivak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?