Best Textbooks for Self-Studying Physics and Calculus: Expert Recommendations

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on textbooks to self-study physics and accompanying mathematics. They already have some background knowledge in calculus from reading Stewart's book, but wish to study it thoroughly. For calculus, Thomas suggests using Calculus and Plane Geometry, specifically an early edition to save money. They also mention that Halliday and Resnick is a better choice for physics compared to Sears and Zemansky's.
Lightfuzz
Hello.

I am a high school student wishing to self study physics. I am just seeking some advice on the textbooks that I should use for both physics and the accompanying mathematics. For calculus, I already have some background knowledge based on previous readings of Stewart's book, but I would like to study calculus thoroughly this time. What textbook should I use? As for physics, it is a similar situation with regards to the background knowledge. Should I start with a general calculus-based textbook such as Halliday and Resnick or University Physics? And if so, which one should I use?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas, Calculus and Plane Geometry (or something like that) is a classic text. I learned from the 2nd edition and let my kids use it as a supplement when they studied calc--no complaints. You can therefore save yourself some money by buying a used copy of an early edition (after all calculus hasn't changed much!)

I think Halliday and Resnick is a better book than Sears and Zemansky's.

1. What is the purpose of using textbooks for self-study?

Textbooks for self-study are designed to provide individuals with the necessary information and materials to learn a subject or topic on their own. They offer a structured and comprehensive approach to learning, allowing individuals to study at their own pace and focus on areas that they find challenging.

2. What makes a textbook suitable for self-study?

A textbook suitable for self-study should be well-organized and easy to understand. It should also include exercises, practice problems, and self-assessment tools to help individuals gauge their understanding and progress. Additionally, a good textbook for self-study should have clear learning objectives and be written in a language that is accessible to the reader.

3. Are there any specific subjects or topics that are best learned through self-study using textbooks?

Textbooks for self-study can be used for a wide range of subjects and topics. However, they are particularly useful for subjects that require a lot of practice and understanding, such as mathematics, language learning, and science. These textbooks often include step-by-step instructions and examples to help individuals grasp difficult concepts.

4. Can textbooks for self-study replace traditional classroom learning?

No, textbooks for self-study are not meant to replace traditional classroom learning. They can be used as a supplement or as a primary source of learning, but they cannot completely replace the guidance and interaction that comes with classroom learning. It is important to find a balance between self-study and traditional learning methods to achieve the best results.

5. How can one effectively use textbooks for self-study?

To effectively use textbooks for self-study, it is important to set a schedule and stick to it. Create a study plan and set specific goals for each study session. It is also helpful to take notes, highlight important information, and complete practice exercises. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor when needed can also improve the effectiveness of using textbooks for self-study.