Best way to improve knowledge of electronics/circuit theory?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
royco
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,
I recently finished my Physics undergraduate degree, and will be starting my first job in September. My employers have asked me to improve my knowledge of electronics before I begin work. I would like to improve my ability to analyse and understand circuits, and also learn more about circuit design in general.

I have some basic electronics knowledge, am fairly handy with a soldering iron, and have access to materials to play around with to help learn more. Is there a book or two that it would be worth getting, to try and learn from, or would an online course be better? I've seen varying opinions on "The Art of Electronics", and am not sure if it is at the right level for me either.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your current level in electronics? Are you comfortable with resistor networks? Capacitors and inductors thrown into the mix? Fourier analysis? What about circuit simulation software?

What kinds of applications will the circuits be used in?
 
royco said:
Hi guys,
I recently finished my Physics undergraduate degree, and will be starting my first job in September. My employers have asked me to improve my knowledge of electronics before I begin work. I would like to improve my ability to analyse and understand circuits, and also learn more about circuit design in general.

I have some basic electronics knowledge, am fairly handy with a soldering iron, and have access to materials to play around with to help learn more. Is there a book or two that it would be worth getting, to try and learn from, or would an online course be better? I've seen varying opinions on "The Art of Electronics", and am not sure if it is at the right level for me either.

Thanks

Nothing beats touching. Go to the local thrift store, buy some old electronics (not old TV sets) and take them apart while studying.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/
 
I am familiar with resistor networks (basic parallel/series stuff); capacitors and inductors I am somewhat familiar with individually but not as a part of larger circuits really. I am familiar with Fourier transforms, but not applied to electronics. Never used circuit simulation software.

As for applications, the interview that focussed on electronics revolved around the operation of a switched mode power supply. The work that the job involves will be varied, so I am not sure on specifics unfortunately.
 
Congrats on the job! I would recommend buying The Art of Electronics by Horowitz/Hill.