Best way to non-conductive coat aluminum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
kolleamm
Messages
476
Reaction score
44
I have some aluminum pieces for a project that need to fit into some slots, they are about the size of your hand. What would be the best way to coat them so they are no longer conductive? Something thin like an enamel I was thinking but perhaps someone here has a better idea.

Thanks in advance!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
I have some aluminum pieces for a project that need to fit into some slots, they are about the size of your hand. What would be the best way to coat them so they are no longer conductive? Something thin like an enamel I was thinking but perhaps someone here has a better idea.

Thanks in advance!

explain your setup more fully and why they need to be non-conductive. Maybe a drawing/photo or 2
This may help with the other ideas :smile:Dave
 
To make it REALLY non-conductive, a true insulator you can powder coat with epoxy. Another option is dip coat with PVC.

There are many options - what is best depends on the application requirments. Durability, UV (sun ) exposure, voltage to be applied. etc...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kolleamm
davenn said:
explain your setup more fully and why they need to be non-conductive. Maybe a drawing/photo or 2
This may help with the other ideas :smile:Dave
davenn said:
explain your setup more fully and why they need to be non-conductive. Maybe a drawing/photo or 2
This may help with the other ideas :smile:Dave
I would really like to post a picture of the piece and the design however that could potentially give away my idea.
 
kolleamm said:
I would really like to post a picture of the piece and the design however that could potentially give away my idea
Then you will have to do some/most of your research yourself. However, voltage breakdown is usually dependent upon thickness and the actual material. I suspect PVC coating to have a higher voltage breakdown than powder coating. Anodizing would work for very low voltage levels except it is such a thin coat, that any scratch or pressure could potentially damage the thin shell and allow current to flow ie voltage breakdown. And if you have an AC voltage, you may actually develop capacitive reactance.
 
Here is your best answer:
Windadct said:
There are many options - what is best depends on the application requirments. Durability, UV (sun ) exposure, voltage to be applied. etc...

But depending on those parameters, stuff like this makes an inexpensive solution. There are many similar brands; I don't endorse any particular one

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/c3/c33bbcfa-a252-4799-973c-3746f2dee11f_1000.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd
Anodising can be isolating till 1000 V and is way harder than any plastic coating.
 
kolleamm said:
I would really like to post a picture of the piece and the design however that could potentially give away my idea.

Those sort of responses really don't go well on any forum

If you don't want to give details, then you cannot expect forum members wasting their time playing the guessing game
 
There is electrical grade epoxy powder coat - EXAMPLE, PVC is pretty good, but softer, and likely to get damaged. Still there are like 6 key factors in making the "best way".

In reading this again - the Aluminum parts can be dip coated with PVC very easy, but they have to be heated. I know a company (where I used to work) that does this with electrical grade PVC.