Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way to non-conductive coat aluminum?

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    I have some aluminum pieces for a project that need to fit into some slots, they are about the size of your hand. What would be the best way to coat them so they are no longer conductive? Something thin like an enamel I was thinking but perhaps someone here has a better idea.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

explain your setup more fully and why they need to be non-conductive. Maybe a drawing/photo or 2
    This may help with the other ideas :smile:

Dave

4. Oct 11, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

How about anodisation?

5. Oct 11, 2016 #4
    To make it REALLY non-conductive, a true insulator you can powder coat with epoxy. Another option is dip coat with PVC.

There are many options - what is best depends on the application requirments. Durability, UV (sun ) exposure, voltage to be applied. etc...

6. Oct 11, 2016 #5
    I would really like to post a picture of the piece and the design however that could potentially give away my idea.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you will have to do some/most of your research yourself. However, voltage breakdown is usually dependent upon thickness and the actual material. I suspect PVC coating to have a higher voltage breakdown than powder coating. Anodizing would work for very low voltage levels except it is such a thin coat, that any scratch or pressure could potentially damage the thin shell and allow current to flow ie voltage breakdown. And if you have an AC voltage, you may actually develop capacitive reactance.

8. Oct 11, 2016 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is your best answer:
    But depending on those parameters, stuff like this makes an inexpensive solution. There are many similar brands; I don't endorse any particular one

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/c3/c33bbcfa-a252-4799-973c-3746f2dee11f_1000.jpg

9. Oct 11, 2016 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Anodising can be isolating till 1000 V and is way harder than any plastic coating.

10. Oct 11, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those sort of responses really don't go well on any forum

If you don't want to give details, then you cannot expect forum members wasting their time playing the guessing game

11. Oct 11, 2016 #10
    There is electrical grade epoxy powder coat - EXAMPLE, PVC is pretty good, but softer, and likely to get damaged. Still there are like 6 key factors in making the "best way".

In reading this again - the Aluminum parts can be dip coated with PVC very easy, but they have to be heated. I know a company (where I used to work) that does this with electrical grade PVC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted