How to Write a Comprehensive Exam Answer Quickly & Score High Marks

• Thread starter Chemer
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on how to write effective and efficient answers in exams with limited time. They ask for advice on organizing ideas, explaining answers, and identifying important points. They mention that the subjects they are referring to are chemistry and biology at the bachelor's level.
Chemer
In exam, we've very limited time to complete the questions and the questions are lengthy and time consuming. Can anyone guide me how to write a comprehensive, less time consuming and more marks bearing answer in exam? How to organize the ideas, what are the best way to explain your answer, which points are important to be written, which to avoid? Please explain with an example. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemer said:
In exam, we've very limited time to complete the questions and the questions are lengthy and time consuming. Can anyone guide me how to write a comprehensive, less time consuming and more marks bearing answer in exam? How to organize the ideas, what are the best way to explain your answer, which points are important to be written, which to avoid? Please explain with an example. Thanks.
In what subject? An example question would be useful, however you are best talking to either the lecturer or your teacher depending on what level you are at.

I'm asking about chemistry and biology on bachelors level.

1. How can I write a comprehensive exam answer quickly?

To write a comprehensive exam answer quickly, it is important to first understand the question and create an outline or plan for your answer. This will help you organize your thoughts and save time. Additionally, it is important to practice writing under timed conditions and to avoid getting stuck on one question for too long. It is also helpful to use concise and clear language to avoid wasting time on unnecessary explanations.

2. How can I score high marks on a comprehensive exam?

To score high marks on a comprehensive exam, it is important to thoroughly study and understand the material beforehand. This includes attending lectures, taking detailed notes, and completing practice questions. During the exam, make sure to read the question carefully and answer all parts of the question. Use relevant examples and evidence to support your answers and make sure to proofread for any errors before submitting.

3. What should I do if I am running out of time during a comprehensive exam?

If you find yourself running out of time during a comprehensive exam, it is important to prioritize the questions and answer the ones worth the most points first. This will ensure that you do not miss out on any easy points. It is also helpful to skip any questions that you are unsure about and come back to them later if you have time. Make sure to manage your time effectively and avoid spending too much time on one question.

4. Is it necessary to include references in a comprehensive exam answer?

The need for references in a comprehensive exam answer may vary depending on the specific instructions given by the examiner. If references are required, it is important to use them properly by citing the source and providing relevant information. If references are not necessary, it is still important to use evidence and examples to support your answers and show a thorough understanding of the material.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a comprehensive exam answer?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a comprehensive exam answer include not reading the question carefully, not answering all parts of the question, and not managing your time effectively. It is also important to avoid using vague or irrelevant information, as well as making spelling and grammatical errors. Make sure to proofread your answers before submitting and to follow any specific instructions given by the examiner.