Bethe formula dependence on charge of the material

In summary, the conversation is discussing the question of how the stopping power of a material is dependent on the charge of the charged particle entering it. There is debate about whether the question is poorly phrased and should instead ask about the dependence on the material's electron density or other factors such as density or atomic weight.
pepediaz
Homework Statement
What is the dependence of the stopping power on the charge of the material on which the charged particle enters?
Relevant Equations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe_formula#The_formula
I think that it is a trick question and that the answer is that given dependence does not exist. Could anyone tell me if I am right?

Physics news on Phys.org
pepediaz said:
Homework Statement:: What is the dependence of the stopping power on the charge of the material on which the charged particle enters?
Relevant Equations:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe_formula#The_formula

I think that it is a trick question and that the answer is that given dependence does not exist. Could anyone tell me if I am right?
Could it be that the question is badly phrased?

Maybe ‘the charge’ is intended to mean ‘the charged particle’.

So the question should be:
What is the dependence of the stopping power on the charged particle, of the material which the charged particle enters?

Or, re-phrasing it:
What factors affect a material’s stopping power for charged particles of a given type/speed?

That would mean you are being asked to describe how a material’s electron density affects its stopping power. Or you could answer in terms of the material’s density, atomic weight, etc.

What is the Bethe formula?

The Bethe formula is a mathematical equation that describes the energy loss of a charged particle as it passes through a material. It was developed by Hans Bethe in 1930 and is widely used in particle physics and radiation therapy.

How does the Bethe formula depend on the charge of the material?

The Bethe formula takes into account the charge of the material through the atomic number Z, which represents the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. The higher the atomic number, the greater the charge and the stronger the interaction between the charged particle and the material.

What is the significance of the charge dependence in the Bethe formula?

The charge dependence in the Bethe formula is important because it allows for more accurate predictions of the energy loss of a charged particle in a specific material. Different materials have different atomic numbers, and therefore, the charge dependence helps to account for this variation.

How does the charge dependence affect the energy loss of a charged particle?

The charge dependence in the Bethe formula causes the energy loss of a charged particle to increase with the atomic number of the material. This means that a charged particle will lose more energy as it passes through a material with a higher atomic number compared to a material with a lower atomic number.

Are there any limitations to the Bethe formula's dependence on charge of the material?

While the Bethe formula is a useful tool for predicting the energy loss of charged particles, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the material is uniform and does not take into account other factors such as multiple scattering and nuclear interactions, which can also affect the energy loss of a charged particle.