Better definition for complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of complex numbers and the use of imaginary numbers. The speakers talk about the importance of the number i and why it is emphasized in the definition of complex numbers. They also mention the use of linear combinations and orthonormal bases in representing complex numbers, and how different definitions can lead to different conclusions about the dimension of the complex plane. The conversation highlights the complexities and different perspectives surrounding the definition and use of complex numbers.
lavinia said:
Right. I didn't want to bring this up to complicate the point.

But in practice, π is never used exactly - but only approximated by some rational number. You could also mention the square root of 2.

The idea that the "real world" somehow contains all intuitions, to me, is highly questionable.
An angle of π is used exactly. It is a straight line.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FactChecker said:
An angle of π is used exactly. It is a straight line.
?

Likes micromass
lavinia said:
In practical applications such as measurement, one uses rational numbers not the real numbers.If you are saying that the rational numbers that appear in measurement are intuitive - I guess because they are practical - that is not the same as saying that the real numbers are intuitive.
There are applications beyond measurement. For instance, physicists and engineers use calculus, which is based on real numbers.

It the context of angles, π is used exactly. In the context of calculus, e is used exactly as the only value of 'a' where the derivative of ax is ax. In the context of plane geometry, √2 is used exactly as the exact diagonal of the unit square. I agree that in the context of addition, multiplication, and division of natural numbers, the rationals are the only numbers used exactly. But that is a very limited context.

Demystifier said:
There are applications beyond measurement. For instance, physicists and engineers use calculus, which is based on real numbers.

Sure, the easiest and most elegant theory of calculus definitely uses the reals.
But, it is definitely not impossible to do calculus without having the real numbers available. One route that I really like is synthetic differential geometry. It develops calculus and differential geometry without mentioning the reals at all.

Likes Demystifier
Bruno Tolentino said:
I was me asking why the complex numbers are defined how z = x + i y !? Is this definition the better definition or was chosen by chance?

In mathematics, some things are defined by chance, for example: 0 is the multiplicative neutral element and your multiplicative inverse (0-) is the ∞. But, 1 is the additive neutral element and it haven't a symbol for its additive inverse (-1), the inverse additive is wrote simply how -1.

Other example: the conic equation is, actually, the vetorial form of the quadratic equation a x² + b x + c = 0. Therefore, the 'correct' form of write it is: [tex]a_{ij} : \vec{r}^2 + b_{i} \cdot \vec{r} + c = 0[/tex] In matrix form: [tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{12}\\
a_{21} & a_{22}
\end{bmatrix}:\begin{bmatrix}
xx & xy \\
yx & yy
\end{bmatrix}
+
\begin{bmatrix}
b_1\\
b_2
\end{bmatrix}\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}
+c=0[/tex] And not this way:

01f03b3f0e26d0194a25c59cb3df16f8.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section#Matrix_notation

Considering these 'mistakes' and others that I not wrote here, I me asked why the complex numbers are defined how z = x + i y.

Why i is important? Why? Why emphasize the number i ? Why? i is not important!

You known that x² - y² = (x + y) (x - y), all right!? And that x² + y² = (x + i y) (x - i y), correct!? But, you know that x³ + y³ = (x + α y) (x + β y) (x + γ y) ? No? You know that α, β and γ are the roots of ³√(-1) ?

α, β and γ appears in the cubic formula too. Write α, β and γ how the linear combination x + i y always complicates every equation! So, is necessary to define one symbol for α, β and γ too! Or, why not? Why the preconception? Why ²√(-1) has a proper symbol and ³√(-1) haven't? Why ²√(-1) is special?

I thought wrote the complex number like z = xy, because this notation no emphasize none root to the detriment of other.

But, linear combination of roots appears be a good way of write complex numbers too. In this case, 1 and i are the best base for the lienar combination?

And why the complex numbers are bidimensional numbers? If the root of the linear equation is and unidimensional number and if the roots of the quadratic equation are bidimensional numbers, so, the roots of the cubic equation are tridimensional numbers, correct or not!?

So, what you think about? I'm a little confused and unbeliever...
the concept of complex numbers was introduced , since , negative number , have no square or any kind of roots or cubes etc.. , there may be a point in space , which , is a root of a negative number (say) there fore it was introduced.

That is true but is not a "definition" which is what this thread is about.