Help with matrix form of the imaginary unit, i

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 2x2 matrix representation for complex numbers, where the identity matrix is used instead of the number 1 and a matrix m is used for the imaginary unit i, satisfying the equation m^2=-I. The conversation also mentions the various solutions to this equation and how any matrix of the form ##U^{-1}\left[\begin{smallmatrix}0&-1\\1&0\end{smallmatrix}\right]U## can be used to represent i.
powerof
While investigating more about complex numbers today I ran across the 2x2 matrix representation of a complex number, and I was really fascinated. You can read what I read here.

As I understand it, you write z in its binomial form but instead of "1" you use the identity matrix, I, and for i you use a matrix m such that [itex]M^2=-I[/itex], like with the more usual definition of i.

[itex]z =x\cdot 1+y\cdot 1 \cdot i\sim z=x\cdot \begin{bmatrix}1
&0 \\
0 &
1\end{bmatrix} +y\cdot \begin{bmatrix}1
&0 \\
0 &
1\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}0
&-1 \\
1 &
0\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}x
&0 \\
0 &
x\end{bmatrix} +\begin{bmatrix}0
&-y \\
y &
0\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}x
&-y \\
y &
x\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

In the "normal" way (the one you learn first, at least in my case) i is defined as follows: [itex]i^{2}=-1[/itex], the positive solution to the equation [itex]x^2+1=0[/itex]. This equation has two solutions, and by convention i is the positive one.

If we try to solve [itex]M^2=-I[/itex], then we get infinite possibilites:

[itex]M^2=-I \Rightarrow -\begin{bmatrix}1
&0 \\
0 &1
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}a
&b \\
c&d
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
a&b \\
c&d
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}a^2+bc
&b(a+d) \\
c(a+d)& d^2+bc
\end{bmatrix}\Rightarrow \left\{\begin{matrix}a^2+bc=-1
\\ d^2+bc=-1
\\ b(a+d)=0
\\ c(a+d)=0
\end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

There aren't just 2 solutions now. Why is the matrix [itex]\begin{bmatrix}
0& -1\\
1&0
\end{bmatrix}[/itex] chosen over any of the rest of the matrices that satisfy m^2=-I? What is so convenient about that form over any other? Perhaps i isn't defined only as the solution to m^2=-I, but if so, what am I missing?

Thank you for reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any matrix of the form ##U^{-1}\left[\begin{smallmatrix}0&-1\\1&0\end{smallmatrix}\right]U##, where ##U## is a unitary matrix, can be used to represent the imaginary unit.

Mathematical groups, of which the complex numbers are one example, generally have many different representations as sets of matrices.

1. What is the matrix form of the imaginary unit, i?

The matrix form of the imaginary unit, i, is i = [0 -1; 1 0] where i is a 2x2 matrix.

2. How do you represent complex numbers in matrix form?

Complex numbers can be represented in matrix form using the real and imaginary parts of the number as the elements of a 2x2 matrix. For example, the complex number z = 2 + 3i can be represented as [2 -3; 3 2].

3. What is the purpose of using matrix form for complex numbers?

Using matrix form for complex numbers allows for easier manipulation and computation of complex numbers as matrices have well-defined rules for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also allows for the representation of complex numbers as linear transformations, which is useful in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can the matrix form of the imaginary unit be used to solve complex equations?

Yes, the matrix form of the imaginary unit can be used to solve complex equations. By representing complex numbers in matrix form, complex equations can be transformed into matrices and then solved using standard matrix operations.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the matrix form of the imaginary unit?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the matrix form of the imaginary unit. The matrix form for a complex number a + bi can be determined by substituting a for the top left element, -b for the top right element, b for the bottom left element, and a for the bottom right element. For the imaginary unit, this results in [0 -1; 1 0].