Bezier Curves in Mechanical Design

In summary, the author is asking if Bezier curves are commonly used in CAD programs, if not, what other types of curves can be modeled with a similar level of precision. He also asks if there is a way to parameterize Bezier curves.
burmy
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched the forums and can't anything to do with this. Also please correct me if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I am making an application with functionality similar to a revolution of a sketch within any CAD program.

I don't really have a mechanical engineering background (took a solidworks and pro|e class once), and I feel like I jumped the gun by making Bezier Curves the primary basis for these sketches that can be extruded and revolved.

My question is:

Are Freeform cubic bezier curves even used within this industry? Are there any examples of programs that have definable values to position control points? For example, pretend a curve represents an aspheric surface of a lens, and the user would like to control the distance between the two end points and the curvature with parameters (but in my application the user only has control of the 4 control points of a cubic bezier curve). Also maybe a user draws an ellipse to be extruded but needs to manipulate the major and minor radii programatically. Are there any programs with similar behaviors? Am I going about this completely wrong?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think Bezier curves are a particularly common option in CAD packages, at least from a user geometry definition standpoint. It could be that they are "buried" in the software away from the user who uses simple geometry actions instead... If I'm modeling an ellipse or an aspheric surface, I definitely would not use bezier points to do it. I would want to define the geometry by whichever geometric properties are relevant, for example an ellipse's major and minor axes.

Solidworks has a "spline" command which seems similar to a bezier curve, but I've rarely used it because I don't do much free-form surface design. Could be it's more common in automotive and consumer product design which has need of complex blended surfaces though...

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/Sketched_3D_Spline.htm

These were also my thoughts. Initially, I believed that the tool would be mainly for complex surfaces (Optics applications). From a Solidworks perspective (looking at the link), it feels like these curves cannot be parameterized or constrained in anyway and just remain as they are. Am I mistaken about this?

Bezier curves were the an important concept at the start of the deveiopnent of CAD, but that was 60 years ago.

It is fairly common now to use more general curve and surface definitions, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-uniform_rational_B-spline (NURBS). These include Bezier curves as a special case (by ignoring the "Rational" part of the formulation) and they have the advantage that they can represent any conic section (circles, ellipses, hyperbolas) exactly.

This simplifies implementing a CAD program, because the program uses exactly the same math methods to work with any combination of "traditional" geometric objects like lines and circles, and general free-form curves and surfaces.

Thanks for the responses!

my application is meant to model things like this easily without utilizing a full blown cad program:

http://www.luxeonstar.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/10403-drawing.pdf

The part that really caught me off guard was the irregularly shaped cavity in the middle, and shapes like this were the reason I decided Bezier Curves would be useful in these applications. I'm starting to realize how wrong I was, but still have no idea how one would define such a shape with any other tool. I suppose it could consist of 2 tangent arc segments, but that is only OK if we assume that those are tangent and if they are even circlular sections.

I suppose each section of Bezier curves does have 4 degrees of freedom (4 control points), so perhaps it is possible to constrain or parameterize them for optimization. How else would you model the curves of the hull of a car in real life?

I'm really hoping there is a way to do this otherwise I'm going to have to do a lot of back tracking and create a new toolset and implementation...

Thanks again.

1. What are Bezier curves?

Bezier curves are a type of mathematical curve that is commonly used in mechanical design. They are formed by a series of control points that define the shape of the curve. These curves are often used to create smooth and aesthetically pleasing designs in mechanical systems.

2. How are Bezier curves used in mechanical design?

Bezier curves are used in mechanical design to create smooth and visually appealing curves in various components such as car bodies, aircraft wings, and architectural structures. They are also used in computer-aided design (CAD) software to model and design mechanical parts and systems.

3. What are the advantages of using Bezier curves in mechanical design?

One of the main advantages of using Bezier curves in mechanical design is their ability to create smooth and continuous curves. They also allow for precise control over the shape of the curve, which is important in designing complex and intricate mechanical components. Additionally, Bezier curves are relatively easy to use and can be manipulated using simple mathematical formulas.

4. Are there any limitations to using Bezier curves in mechanical design?

While Bezier curves are a useful tool in mechanical design, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they cannot accurately represent all types of curves, such as sharp corners. Another limitation is that they can be difficult to manipulate for those who are not familiar with the mathematical principles behind them. However, these limitations can often be overcome with the use of other tools and techniques.

5. How can I learn more about using Bezier curves in mechanical design?

There are many resources available for learning more about Bezier curves and how to use them in mechanical design. You can start by researching online tutorials and videos, as well as books and courses on the subject. Additionally, many CAD software programs offer built-in tools and resources for using Bezier curves in your designs. It can also be helpful to consult with experienced mechanical designers who have used Bezier curves in their work.