Bicycle design and materials tehnology

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking resources for a report on the effects of advances in materials technology on bicycle design and manufacture. They discuss the difficulties in transitioning from metal to composite materials, manufacturing processes, and sources of research.
bill nye scienceguy!
Any good sites/other resources that I could look at?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you want to know?

Bicycle design and materials technology are two pretty broad subjects!

specifically, the effects of advances in materials technology have affected the design and manufacture of bicycles, with a view to writing a report on the subject.

and please excuse the horrendous grammar in that last post >_<

This page has a link to http://www.calfeedesign.com/pdf/Calfee_TWP.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a report on the exact same project last year!

Picked up on the difficulties in the transition from lightweight metals (namely aluminium and magnesium) to composites in forks, and the manufacturing processes (and difficulties therin) used for general bike tubes, and forks in particular.

you don't happen to go to glasgow uni, do you?

anyway, what sources did you use for your research?

Nope I was at UMIST.

My main source for research was the in-house materials expert at Pace. Had also read a few articles about pultrusion and extrusion, and composite layup, for manufacture of various sectioned tubes, and how different strand strategies are used to give strength and stiffness in different directions. Put a few bits together, and blagged the rest.

Will see if I can find some references for you...

1. What materials are commonly used in bicycle design?

The most commonly used materials in bicycle design are aluminum, carbon fiber, and steel. These materials offer a balance of strength, stiffness, and weight, making them ideal for creating durable and high-performing bicycles.

2. How does the material affect the performance of a bicycle?

The material used in a bicycle can greatly impact its performance. For example, carbon fiber is known for its lightweight and stiffness, making it a popular choice for high-performance road bikes. On the other hand, steel is known for its durability and ability to absorb vibrations, making it a good choice for off-road and touring bikes.

3. What factors are considered when designing a bicycle?

When designing a bicycle, factors such as aerodynamics, weight, stiffness, and durability are taken into consideration. The overall goal is to create a bike that is efficient and comfortable to ride while also being strong enough to withstand the stresses of cycling.

4. How have advancements in technology impacted bicycle design?

Advancements in technology have greatly impacted bicycle design in recent years. With the use of computer-aided design (CAD) software, designers are able to create more aerodynamic and efficient frames. New materials and manufacturing techniques have also allowed for lighter and stronger bicycles.

5. What is the future of bicycle design and materials technology?

The future of bicycle design and materials technology is constantly evolving. Some potential advancements include the use of 3D printing to create custom frames, the integration of electronic components for improved performance, and the development of new materials that are even lighter and stronger than current options.