Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijection between parameters in integral formula

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    Hello,

To measure the atomic force with an AFM. One can use the frequency shift of a cantilever. This change of frequency is linked to the atomic force by what we called the Franz J. Giessibl formula in the community.

z is the AFM tip-sample distance. frequency(z) is the change of frequency of the cantilever vs the distance. Forces(z) is the atomic force versus the distance. a is a parameter linked to the drive of the cantilever.

If I put all the useless constants equals to 1, I have:

frequency (z)=(1/a)*Integrale[ Force[z+a(1+u)]*u / Sqrt[1-u^2] , du from -1 to 1]

I use u for the integration

This integral is some kind of functional linking frequency(z) and Force(z).

The Force(z) function looks like this: http://www.teachnano.com/education/i/F-z_curve.gif [Broken]

I would like to proove that for any function Force[z] that is real and ( z is positif ) and that goes through a negative minimum called Fmin, there is a frequency(z) function that goes through a minimum which is freq_min. It works numerically.

I think there is one-to-one relationship between F_min and freq_min but I'd like it to be more than a feeling.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks more like physics than like Math. Maybe you can post it in the Physics forum.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3
    The physics is just to illustrate the use of the formula. But I would like to prove mathematically the one-to-one relationship between the two minimums.

Maybe physicists knows the answer to this calculus question but it's still calculus now?

If not, in what section of physics should I put this question? I need to find a community that uses similar integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook