Bilinear maps: showing nondegenerate in second variable

• Thread starter MimuiSnoopy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation is about showing that the bilinear map B: V* x V -> F defined by B(alpha,v) = alpha(v) is nondegenerate in the second variable. This means that for every non-zero linear functional alpha in V*, B(alpha,v) must evaluate to a non-zero number, implying that v=0. The individual is seeking clarification on how to show this for the given bilinear map and questioning whether the concept of symmetry/skewness and the definition of the radical are relevant. They are also working on past papers to review their understanding of the topic.
MimuiSnoopy

Homework Statement

Let V be a n-dimensional vector space.
Let B: V* x V -> F (field) be the bilinear map defined by B(alpha,v) = alpha(v). Show that B in nondegenerate in the second variable. (4 marks)

Homework Equations

I know that B is non-degenerate in the second variable if; B(alpha,v)=0 for every alpha a member of V* which implies that v=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was writing out the definition I know (applying it to the variables given). I do not know how to show that it is true for the bilinear map given.

The other thing I know, but not sure if it helps or not, is that if B is symmetric/skew then we can define the radical so that B is non-degenerate on each variable iff radB={0}. But I'm not sure if I need this or not.

----

I am currently working through some of the past papers I did for my second year units at university, trying to understand the things I couldn't do at the time ready for my third year units. However obviously the university hasn't supplied us with answers yet so I cannot check what I am doing is correct or not. Thank you for your help!

----

Physics news on Phys.org
MimuiSnoopy said:

Homework Statement

Let V be a n-dimensional vector space.
Let B: V* x V -> F (field) be the bilinear map defined by B(alpha,v) = alpha(v). Show that B in nondegenerate in the second variable. (4 marks)

Homework Equations

I know that B is non-degenerate in the second variable if; B(alpha,v)=0 for every alpha a member of V* which implies that v=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was writing out the definition I know (applying it to the variables given). I do not know how to show that it is true for the bilinear map given.

The other thing I know, but not sure if it helps or not, is that if B is symmetric/skew then we can define the radical so that B is non-degenerate on each variable iff radB={0}. But I'm not sure if I need this or not.

----

I am currently working through some of the past papers I did for my second year units at university, trying to understand the things I couldn't do at the time ready for my third year units. However obviously the university hasn't supplied us with answers yet so I cannot check what I am doing is correct or not. Thank you for your help!

----

I guess I am confused about the question.
A non zero linear functional must by definition evaluate to a non-zero number for some vector. No?

What is a bilinear map?

A bilinear map is a function that takes in two vector inputs and produces a scalar output. It is a linear map in each variable separately, and it is also referred to as a multilinear map.

What does it mean for a bilinear map to be nondegenerate in the second variable?

A bilinear map is considered nondegenerate in the second variable if for every fixed value of the first variable, the map is injective. In other words, for every vector in the domain of the second variable, there is a unique vector in the domain of the first variable that maps to it.

How is nondegeneracy in the second variable useful?

Nondegeneracy in the second variable is useful in various areas of mathematics, including differential geometry, abstract algebra, and functional analysis. It allows for the definition of dual spaces, which are important in the study of vector spaces and their associated structures.

What are some examples of bilinear maps that are nondegenerate in the second variable?

Examples of bilinear maps that are nondegenerate in the second variable include the inner product on a vector space, the cross product in three-dimensional space, and the determinant function on matrices.

How can one prove that a bilinear map is nondegenerate in the second variable?

One can prove that a bilinear map is nondegenerate in the second variable by showing that the kernel (set of all inputs that map to zero) of the map is trivial, meaning it only contains the zero vector. This can be done by using properties of linear maps and vector spaces.