Double Integral via Appropriate Change of Variables

In summary: However, this change of variables doesn't seem to change the integration much. Can you provide more information on why you think this might be the case?
PhysicsWow
Summary:: Calculate a double integral via appropriate change of variables in R^2

Suppose I have f(x,y)=sqrt(y^12 + 1). I need to integrate y from (x)^(1/11) to 1 and x from 0 to 1. The inner integral is in y and outer in x. How do I calculate integration(f(x,y)dxdy) ?

My Approach: I know that I have to change the variables to u-v plane from x,y, and I have seen the boundaries of the required region. But I can't express x and y as a function in (u,v)? Can someone give an insight into what should u and v appropriately be? Also, could you explain a bit why they should be assumed so?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsWow said:
Summary:: Calculate a double integral via appropriate change of variables in R^2

Suppose I have f(x,y)=sqrt(y^12 + 1). I need to integrate y from (x)^(1/11) to 1 and x from 0 to 1. The inner integral is in y and outer in x. How do I calculate integration(f(x,y)dxdy) ?

My Approach: I know that I have to change the variables to u-v plane from x,y, and I have seen the boundaries of the required region. But I can't express x and y as a function in (u,v)? Can someone give an insight into what should u and v appropriately be? Also, could you explain a bit why they should be assumed so?
Hello, @PhysicsWow .
:welcome:

Is this an exercise in which you are required to change the variables to u-v plane from x,y ?

If not, it appears to me that the integration can be nicely accomplished simply by changing the order of integration.

Hello @PhysicsWow , :welcome: !

Am I reading this right ? You want to calculate
$$\int_0^1 \int_{x^{1/11}}^1 \sqrt{ y^{12}+ 1\;} \, dy\,dx $$which is an integral of a function of y only

SammyS said:
simply by changing the order of integration.
I don't see that. The bounds for y are a function of x. Am I missing something ?

BvU said:
SammyS said:
... simply by changing the order of integration.

I don't see that. The bounds for y are a function of x. Am I missing something ?

The bounds can easily be changed to have ##x## be a function of ##y## .

Likes BvU

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and involves integrating a function over a region in the x-y plane.

2. What is a change of variables?

A change of variables is a mathematical technique used to simplify integrals by transforming them into a new coordinate system. This can make the integration process easier and more efficient.

3. Why is it important to use an appropriate change of variables in double integrals?

Using an appropriate change of variables can make the integration process easier and more efficient, as it allows for the simplification of the integral. It also allows for the integration of more complex functions that may not be possible with the original coordinates.

4. How do you determine the appropriate change of variables for a double integral?

The appropriate change of variables for a double integral can be determined by considering the shape and symmetry of the region of integration. It is also important to choose variables that will result in a simpler integral to evaluate.

5. What are some common examples of appropriate changes of variables in double integrals?

Some common examples of appropriate changes of variables in double integrals include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These are often used for regions with circular or spherical symmetry.