Bill Gates and Artificial Clouds

1. http://www.psfk.com/2010/05/bill-gates-funding-controversial-climate-altering-technology.html

I want to call shenanigans but...

2. jcsd
  3. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, I like the fact that he's trying new and different things and thinking outside the box, even if he's mostly just going after crapshoots. It's his money, though, so he can have at it.

4. The OP, JRDunassigned, has given us a quote from Times Online and also there is a link to the Times Online article. Brief comment, on May 12, 2010, Gretchen Weber wrote an article, Geoengineering Field Tests on the Horizon? Here it is.

Honestly, I've never been impressed by Times Online's articles.

5. mheslep

mheslep 3,439
    Gold Member

I'm curious as to how they plan to measure the effectiveness of the effort. High altitude or satellite photography? How much albedo change do they think they can produce? One in a thousand? Million?

6. I don't have any answers to your questions, mheslep. It seems as though engineer Armand Neukerman's Silver Lining Project is at this time 'to test the feasibility of fine seawater sprays in the laboratory'. :smile:

I would also encourage viewers to open my last link and preview other links in the article.:smile:

Have a nice weekend to one and all. I have a barbeque fest at my house today!:smile:

7. jack action

jack action 780
    Gold Member

It doesn't really sound new to me. It is called cloud seeding and it has been studied or used for almost a century now.

8. mheslep

mheslep 3,439
    Gold Member

Eh? This project differs in means and desired outcome. There's no silver iodide or other compound other than sea water being sent aloft here, and the desired outcome is not increased precipitation but more cloud cover, which must be done with some efficiency since eventual scale is global.

9. these clouds can't produce rain, right? If it did, it would have some practical applications when it comes to taking out mountain fires, etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?