Can binders improve SSP fertilizer granule hardness and storage characteristics?

• Thread starter rommie
  • Start date
In summary: HiThank you for the input!I am not sure whether the xtal slurry would be able to withstand the introduction of a clay slurry that is very dilute and held suspended with surfactant. The lines that feed the slurry would always have to be moving or plugging would be a problem due to the thixotropic effects of bentonite slurries. HiThank you for the input!I am not sure whether the xtal slurry would be able to withstand the introduction of a clay slurry that is very dilute and held suspended with surfactant. The lines that feed the slurry would always have to be moving or plugging would be a problem due to
rommie
Dear Forum

I am a junior engineer newly appointed by a fertilizer production company. I have been given the assignment to improve the SSP granule hardness and storage characteristics. Currently the granules are too soft and the drying time prior to bagging is also long. I am considering adding a binding agent to the fertilizer. I have considered sodium silicate, potassium silicate, lignosulfonates or bentonite clay as possible agents. However I am having considerable trouble finding reliable information regarding the use of these agents and the application methods. For example I am worried that if I should use sodium silicate, the granules' water solubility would be lowered considerably after drying in the drier. The fertilizer powder is granulated using drum granulators and water. Any advice or information is sincerely appreciated.

Regards
Rommie

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am sure you will find literature from bentonite producers, and it can be added as a slurry to bind or act as a final coat. It should also become somewhat hydrophobic if a small amount of biodegradable surfactant is used in formulating. Look in patent literature with appropriate boolean search terms.

I would steer clear of silicates as they could render any micronutrients as insoluble rock. Also silicates can be hard to dry compared to clays.

Hi

Thank you for the advice!I have started to research bentonite clay. According to the plant manager it cannot be added in slurry form, he didn't explain why though, I'm assuming the clay might neutralize the acid in the slurry and influence the reactions. I am not sure whether adding it in a powder form to the powdered fertilizer and then granulating it using water would have any notable increases in granule strength. I am still searching for information and will post as soon as I have something that may be of interest.

Regards
Rommie

I can understand if the reactor is a tube or other reactor than a tank; plugging with clay would be very bad indeed... I thought however, that the fertilizer xtal slurry might be able to withstand the introduction of a clay slurry that is very dilute and held suspended with surfactant. The lines that feed the slurry would always have to be moving or plugging would be a problem due to the thixotropic effects of bentonite slurries.

If you are using a spray drier, the bentonite could be suspended in the drying air and may coat the prills and produce some of the results- I suspect it will also cause a lot of extra downtime chipping away coated walls... !>)

Dear Rommie,

I am familiar with the use of binders in fertilizer production and their potential effects on granule hardness and storage characteristics. Binders are commonly used in fertilizer production to improve the physical properties of granules, such as hardness, crush strength, and resistance to moisture. However, the choice of binder and its application method can greatly impact the overall quality of the fertilizer granules.

Based on my knowledge and experience, I would recommend conducting a thorough research on the properties and compatibility of the binders you have mentioned - sodium silicate, potassium silicate, lignosulfonates, and bentonite clay - with SSP fertilizer. This can be done by consulting scientific literature, conducting experiments, or seeking advice from experts in the field.

In terms of application methods, the most common approach is to add the binder to the fertilizer powder before granulation. This allows for better mixing and distribution of the binder throughout the granules. However, the specific application method may vary depending on the type of binder and the equipment used in the granulation process. It is important to carefully consider the compatibility of the binder with the production equipment to avoid any potential issues.

Regarding your concern about the water solubility of the granules after drying, it is important to note that different binders can have different effects on the solubility of the granules. Some binders, such as lignosulfonates, can actually increase the water solubility of the granules. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully select the binder based on the desired properties of the final product.

I hope this information helps guide your research and decision-making process. It is always best to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing before implementing any changes in production. Good luck with your assignment.

Best regards,

1. What are binders in SSP fertilizer?

Binders in SSP (Single Super Phosphate) fertilizer are materials that are added to the fertilizer during the manufacturing process to improve its physical properties and increase its effectiveness. These binders help to prevent the fertilizer particles from breaking down and clumping together, making it easier to handle and apply.

2. What types of binders are commonly used in SSP fertilizer?

The most commonly used binders in SSP fertilizer are lignosulphonates, starch, and bentonite. Lignosulphonates are naturally occurring compounds derived from wood pulp, while starch is a carbohydrate polymer and bentonite is a type of clay mineral.

3. How do binders affect the nutrient availability in SSP fertilizer?

Binders can have a significant impact on the nutrient availability in SSP fertilizer. They help to slow down the release of nutrients, allowing for a more controlled and sustained release of essential plant nutrients such as phosphorus. This results in a more efficient use of the fertilizer by the plants.

4. Are binders in SSP fertilizer safe for the environment?

Yes, binders used in SSP fertilizer are generally considered safe for the environment. They are non-toxic, biodegradable, and do not pose any significant risk to the environment when used according to recommended guidelines. However, it is important to note that excessive use of fertilizers in general can have negative impacts on the environment, such as water pollution.

5. Can binders be added to other types of fertilizers?

Yes, binders can also be added to other types of fertilizers such as urea, DAP (Diammonium Phosphate), and MAP (Monoammonium Phosphate). This is done to improve the handling and effectiveness of these fertilizers, as well as to reduce dust and improve their flowability.

Back