• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Binding energy of a nitrogen nucleus

• Thread starter cosmictide
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

Hi guys, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm told that a carbon-12 atom fuses with a hydrogen nucleus with the atomic mass of 1 to form a nucleus of nitrogen releasing 1.95 MeV as a result.

I'm asked to write an equation of the reaction and work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus if the binding energy for the hydrogen is 0 MeV and the binding energy for the carbon-12 is -92.2MeV.

The equation I managed to get is 12C + 1H = 13N + 1.95 MeV. Is this correct? Also how do I work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus? I thought it might be -94.15 MeV but that seems too simple. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
1. Homework Statement

Hi guys, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm told that a carbon-12 atom fuses with a hydrogen nucleus with the atomic mass of 1 to form a nucleus of nitrogen releasing 1.95 MeV as a result.

I'm asked to write an equation of the reaction and work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus if the binding energy for the hydrogen is 0 MeV and the binding energy for the carbon-12 is -92.2MeV.

The equation I managed to get is 12C + 1H = 13N + 1.95 MeV. Is this correct? Also how do I work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus? I thought it might be -94.15 MeV but that seems too simple. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Not familiar with how such equations are written, but I would have expected to see more detail, like counts of nucleons. On the net I see formalisms like [atomic mass/atomic number]element symbol, e.g. [12/6]C.
For the energy, I would have guessed (by conservation) the simple and obvious relationship between the initial and final binding energy totals and the energy released that you appear to have used.

Not familiar with how such equations are written, but I would have expected to see more detail, like counts of nucleons. On the net I see formalisms like [atomic mass/atomic number]element symbol, e.g. [12/6]C.
For the energy, I would have guessed (by conservation) the simple and obvious relationship between the initial and final binding energy totals and the energy released that you appear to have used.
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll take your advice and rewrite the formula with the atomic mass and number included.