1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy of a nitrogen nucleus

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi guys, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm told that a carbon-12 atom fuses with a hydrogen nucleus with the atomic mass of 1 to form a nucleus of nitrogen releasing 1.95 MeV as a result.

I'm asked to write an equation of the reaction and work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus if the binding energy for the hydrogen is 0 MeV and the binding energy for the carbon-12 is -92.2MeV.

The equation I managed to get is 12C + 1H = 13N + 1.95 MeV. Is this correct? Also how do I work out the binding energy of the nitrogen nucleus? I thought it might be -94.15 MeV but that seems too simple. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not familiar with how such equations are written, but I would have expected to see more detail, like counts of nucleons. On the net I see formalisms like [atomic mass/atomic number]element symbol, e.g. [12/6]C.
    For the energy, I would have guessed (by conservation) the simple and obvious relationship between the initial and final binding energy totals and the energy released that you appear to have used.

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I think I'll take your advice and rewrite the formula with the atomic mass and number included.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted