1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Deutron Mass Given Binding Energy

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The deuteron is a bound state between a proton and a neutron (and the nucleus of the H2 isotope).

The binding energy of the deuteron is 2.2MeV. What is the mass of the deuteron?

2. Relevant equations

Mp = 938.3 MeV/c^2
    Mn = 939.6 MeV/c^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Md = 938.3 + 939.6 - 2.2/c^2
    = 1877.9 MeV

I tried to look for that number online, but I've only found numbers closer to 1875.7 MeV/c^2, which suggests to me that the binding energy changes the mass more than I found it to.

Where am I going wrong? Should I not be dividing the binding energy by c^2? Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recheck this calculation.

[Note: The c^2 should not be dividing the 2.2. The c^2 appears in the units]

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
    Can you explain to me how I can add quantities with differing units?

If I don't divide 2.2 by c^2, don't I end up with

MeV/c^2 + MeV/c^2 + MeV?

I was under the impression that you can't add differing units. Or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding somewhere?

Thanks, again!

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The binding energy is 2.2 Mev. The mass equivalent of that is m = E/c2 = (2.2 Mev)/c2 = 2.2 Mev/c2.

This now has the same units (Mev/c2) as you are using for the proton and neutron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted