Calculating energy released by fission.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy released in the fusion of four hydrogen atoms to produce one helium nucleus. The process involves no isotopes or subparticles and is based on the conservation of mass-energy. The calculation involves comparing the masses of the relevant particles. The average binding energy for four hydrogen atoms is 0.4*4 MeV, while the average binding energy for helium is 9 MeV. Therefore, the energy released in this process would be 7.4 MeV. However, this calculation does not take into account the conversion of protons to neutrons and the production of other particles. It is recommended to look up the masses of all relevant particles for a more accurate calculation.
nima rahmani
hey guys.
i have answered my question but i am not quite sure about it.
Four hydrogen atoms fuse to produce one helium nucleus.calculate how many MeV of energy is released in this
process. You are calculating how much energy is released by the fusion of four hydrogen atoms.

what i have done: average binding energy 4 H: 0.4*4 MeV = 1.6MeV
Then: Average binding energy of He: 9 MeV.
SO the energy release would be 9 MeV - 1,6MeV = 7.4 MeV.

THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this (fictional) fusion process, no isotopes are involved, no positron, gamma or other subparticles are involved, so I would just argue conservation of mass-energy. I don't know how far along you are in particle physics, course-wise.

Where does the 9 MeV value for helium come from and what does it mean?

This does not work - two protons have to convert to neutrons, and this reaction also produces something else.
Instead of using binding energies, is easier to look up the masses of all relevant particles, and to compare them.

1. How is the energy released by fission calculated?

The energy released by fission is calculated using the famous formula E=mc², where E is energy, m is the change in mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. What is the change in mass in the energy calculation for fission?

The change in mass, denoted as Δm, refers to the difference between the total mass of the fissionable material before and after the fission reaction.

3. How is the speed of light used in the energy calculation for fission?

The speed of light, c, is a constant in the E=mc² formula and is used to convert the change in mass into energy units. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. What units are used to express the energy released by fission?

The energy released by fission is typically expressed in joules (J) or electron volts (eV). In some cases, it may also be expressed in kilowatt-hours (kWh) for larger amounts of energy.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the energy released by fission?

Yes, the energy released by fission can also be affected by the type of fissionable material, the number and type of neutrons involved in the reaction, and the amount of energy used to initiate the fission process.