1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Probability Clarification

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For fixed n, are there values of p (0≤p≤1) for which V(X) = 0? Explain why this is so.

3. The attempt at a solution

For X~Bin(n,p), V(X)=np(1-p). So the only solutions for this equation are when p=0 or p=1. There are too many variables for me to keep track of and understand. Is p the probability of X occuring? And n is the number of trials in the experiment? If so, if the probability of X occuring is zero or one, how does that relate to variance of the outcomes of the experiments? I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you explain roughly what variance means in words? And why p=0 and p=1 giving you zero variance makes perfect sense? Look up a nonmathematical definition of 'variance'.

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    Variance is the amount of...dispersion of results around a certain point. I don't know how p and V(X) are related other than the equation. I know p is the probability of {success} of ... something. I don't know what that something is though. Is it X? I'm totally confused on what all the symbols in Binomial Probability mean.

5. Feb 23, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, yes, p is the probability of "success". If you do n trials and p=0 how many times do you succeed? Same for p=1. Is there any 'dispersion of results'?

6. Feb 23, 2010 #5
    Say I roll a die and the probability of getting a 1 is 0%, (due to the die being weighted) which would mean that the probabiltity of not getting a 1 is 100%. If I do n, all of my results are 1, therefore the variance is 0. And if the probability of getting a 1 is 100%, then all results are 1, and again no variance. I didn't realize this until I wrote out this experiment actually, coincidentally forgetting that we're dealing with dichotomous experiments. Is it that easy?

7. Feb 23, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Saying "dichotomous experiments" makes it sound hard. But, yes, it's that easy. If p=0 or p=1 then you know exactly what will happen. There is no dispersion. If p=(1/2) or anything else not 0 or 1 then you can get anywhere from 0 to n successes. There is dispersion and nonzero variance, just as the formula np(p-1) tells you.

8. Feb 23, 2010 #7
    The second half of the problem asks: When is V(X) maximized? If we take the derivative and set it equal to zero, we get 1-2p=0 which means p=.5 which says that the maximum variance occurs when p=.5. This is where I get confused.

If the expected value of the Binomial is E(X)=np, and the variance is V(X)=np(1-p), I am not quite sure I picture what's happening. When p=.5, what is actually going on?

9. Feb 23, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing the math part right. If p is high, you 'usually' succeed, if p is low you 'usually' don't. With p=0 and p=1 being extreme cases of that. Doesn't it make sense that p=(1/2) is the maximum uncertainty? Hence maximum variance? These are all just words. The fact is that V(1/2)=n/4 is the largest value of the variance you get for any value of p. Try p=1/4 or p=3/4. Don't you trust you own math?

10. Feb 23, 2010 #9
    I can "do" the math but I don't really understand it. When p=1/4, V(X)=n(1/4)(3/4)... when p=3/4, V(X)=n(3/4)(1/4)...which is the same. But I'm not really able to 'picture' what the variance is doing. For instance, if my possibilities of outcomes is 0 or 1, and the probability of getting the 1 is (1/4), why is the variance around the expected value any different than if it's 1/2, or 3/5, if the only two outcomes are 0 and 1?

11. Feb 23, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because 3n/8 is less than n/4. That's why. Graph V as a function of p. It peaks at p=1/2 doesn't it? Look up web apps that will show you graphs of binomial distributions for various values of n and p if you can't 'picture' it. For fixed n the value of p that gives you the biggest spread in outcomes is p=1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook