Binomials and Proof by Induction

In summary, the problem is to prove that (n choose k) is less than or equal to ((en)/k)^k by induction on k. The solution attempts to break down (n choose k) into a workable form and suggests bounding the numerator and denominator separately. The notation "en" is clarified as e*n.
math222

Homework Statement

Prove (n choose k) ≤ ((en)/k)^k by induction on k.

Homework Equations

I can't of anything that's awfully relevant besides the general steps of induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found it true for the k=1 case which was easy enough. Then assumed true the k case. And now have to prove the k+1 case.

So after working on the problem for awhile, I arrived at
((n-k)/(k+1)) * (n choose k) ≤ ((en)/k)^k * ((n-k)/(k+1))

but from here I'm stuck and not sure how to deconstruct the (n choose k) into something workable, let alone construct (n choose k+1). any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the notation. What is "en"?

the Euler number, e=2.718 or something i think. so en is e*n

math222 said:

Homework Statement

Prove (n choose k) ≤ ((en)/k)^k by induction on k.

Homework Equations

I can't of anything that's awfully relevant besides the general steps of induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found it true for the k=1 case which was easy enough. Then assumed true the k case. And now have to prove the k+1 case.

So after working on the problem for awhile, I arrived at
((n-k)/(k+1)) * (n choose k) ≤ ((en)/k)^k * ((n-k)/(k+1))

but from here I'm stuck and not sure how to deconstruct the (n choose k) into something workable, let alone construct (n choose k+1). any help would be greatly appreciated.

It might be helpful to note that
[tex] {n \choose k} = \frac{n (n-1) \cdots (n-k+1)}{k!}
= \frac{n^k (1 - \frac{1}{n})(1 - \frac{2}{n}) \cdots (1 - \frac{k-1}{n})}{k!},[/tex] and you can further bound the numerator and denominator.

RGV

math222 said:
the Euler number, e=2.718 or something i think. so en is e*n
Then you mean e^n. "en" and "e*n" would be e times n.

no i mean e times n. hence en or e*n.

i under the bound for the numerator, but i don't understand how to bound the denominator?

1. What are binomials?

Binomials are algebraic expressions containing two terms connected by either addition or subtraction. They are commonly used in algebra to represent polynomials and are written in the form of (a + b) or (a - b).

2. How do you expand binomials?

To expand a binomial, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This means that you multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. The resulting expression is the expanded form of the binomial.

3. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement or equation holds true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then using that assumption to prove that it is also true for the next natural number. This process continues until the statement is proven true for all natural numbers.

4. How do you write a proof by induction?

To write a proof by induction, you must first state the statement or equation that you are trying to prove. Then, you must prove that the statement is true for the first natural number. Next, you must assume that the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number and use that assumption to prove that it is also true for the next natural number. Finally, you must conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

5. What is the purpose of proof by induction?

The purpose of proof by induction is to establish the validity of a statement or equation for all natural numbers, without having to check each individual case. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and is used to prove various mathematical theorems and formulas.