1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binormal Vectors

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that you draw a point "x" in the middle of a page, and a curve going through "x" in such a way that the curve is going straight upward at the point "x" and is curving to the left. In what direction does the binormal vector "B" (at "x") point?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hello, I am having some trouble really visualizing this problem. I know about the right-hand rule, but I am unsure how to apply it here (or whether or not it does even apply here). My thought on the problem was that since if the curve is going straight upward at "x" and curving left, then the binormal vector would point out of the page, no?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

This sounds correct. Since the point is going straight up, the tangent vector is straight up, which means the normal vector points to the right and the binormal vector points out of the page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted