Describe curve to reduce field intensity in fastest time

In summary, Igor, the inchworm, is crawling along graph paper in a magnetic field with intensity given by ##M(x,y)=3x^2+y^2+5000##. He is currently at the point ##(8,6)## and wants to reduce the field intensity as rapidly as possible. The direction he should travel is opposite to ##(48,12)##, which can be expressed as a unit vector ##(\frac{-4}{\sqrt 17},\frac{-1}{\sqrt 17})##. However, this direction is only correct at that point. To find the curve along which he should travel, we need to find the orthogonal trajectory through that point by solving a differential equation.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

Igor, the inchworm, is crawling along graph paper in a magnetic field. The intensity of the field at the point ##(x,y)## is given by ##M(x,y)=3x^2+y^2+5000##. If Igor is at the point ##(8,6)##, describe the curve along which he should travel if he wishes to reduce the field intensity as rapidly as possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I have with this question is that I'm asked to describe a curve instead of direction.
Here are my steps so far: $$\nabla M(x,y)=(6x,2y)$$
$$\nabla M(8,6)=(48,12)$$
Since they want the most rapid reduction, I must go in the direction opposite to ##(48,12)##, which if given in unit vector is ##(\frac{-4}{\sqrt 17},\frac{-1}{\sqrt 17})##.

I have no idea how to come up with an equation of a curve based on this.

Any hints?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

Igor, the inchworm, is crawling along graph paper in a magnetic field. The intensity of the field at the point ##(x,y)## is given by ##M(x,y)=3x^2+y^2+5000##. If Igor is at the point ##(8,6)##, describe the curve along which he should travel if he wishes to reduce the field intensity as rapidly as possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I have with this question is that I'm asked to describe a curve instead of direction.
Here are my steps so far: $$\nabla M(x,y)=(6x,2y)$$
$$\nabla M(8,6)=(48,12)$$
Since they want the most rapid reduction, I must go in the direction opposite to ##(48,12)##, which if given in unit vector is ##(\frac{-4}{\sqrt 17},\frac{-1}{\sqrt 17})##.

I have no idea how to come up with an equation of a curve based on this.

Any hints?

Thanks.
Igor is crawling on graph paper, which is flat. The curves of constant magnetic field intensity are all in the shape of ellipses. If he maintains the direction you calculated, he should be able to get to a location with a lower field intensity (although not by much, since the minimum intensity is 5000 whatevers).

Mark44 said:
Igor is crawling on graph paper, which is flat. The curves of constant magnetic field intensity are all in the shape of ellipses. If he maintains the direction you calculated, he should be able to get to a location with a lower field intensity (although not by much, since the minimum intensity is 5000 whatevers).

But that direction is only correct at that point. To get the curve on which it must travel you need the orthogonal trajectory through that point. Find the necessary slope ##y'## in terms of ##y## and ##x## and solve the resulting differential equation.

LCKurtz said:
But that direction is only correct at that point. To get the curve on which it must travel you need the orthogonal trajectory through that point. Find the necessary slope ##y'## in terms of ##y## and ##x## and solve the resulting differential equation.
I stand corrected. What I said would be applicable if the level curves were circles, but that isn't the case here.
Thanks for the correction.

1. How can a curve reduce field intensity?

A curve can reduce field intensity by redirecting the path of the electric or magnetic field lines, effectively decreasing the strength of the field in a certain area.

2. What factors influence the rate at which field intensity is reduced?

The rate at which field intensity is reduced depends on the shape and size of the curve, as well as the material properties of the medium through which the field is passing.

3. Can a curve completely eliminate field intensity?

No, a curve cannot completely eliminate field intensity. It can only redirect and reduce the strength of the field in a certain area.

4. Is there a specific type of curve that is most effective at reducing field intensity?

The most effective type of curve for reducing field intensity will depend on the specific situation and the direction of the field. Some common types of curves used for this purpose include helical, spiral, and parabolic curves.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using curves to reduce field intensity?

One potential drawback of using curves to reduce field intensity is that it may cause distortion or interference in other areas. Additionally, the effectiveness of a curve may be limited by the strength of the field and the properties of the medium it is passing through.