Check if answers are right on my review? (vector eqns, curvature )

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions and answers related to a test review, including finding the point of intersection of a curve with the xz-plane, parametric equations of a tangent line, an equation of the osculating plane of a curve, the curvature of a curve, and the components of acceleration vector. The conversation also includes true/false statements about various mathematical concepts and their correctness.
oreosama
Hi these are questions from my test review that i am unsure of, i posted question and my answer

if you can tell me if I've gotten right answer that would be much appreciated!

Let C be the curve with the equations [itex] x = 2 - t^3, y = 2t - 6, z = \ln(t)[/itex]

Find the point where C intersects the xz-plane
Find parametric equations of the tangent line at (1,-4,0)

ans:
[itex]
(-25,0,ln(3))
[/itex]

[itex]
x = 1 - 3t, y = -4 + 2t, z = t
[/itex]

=========================================find an equation of the osculating plane of the curve [itex] x = \sin{5t}, y = \sqrt{5}t, z = \cos{5t} [/itex] at the point [itex] (0,\pi \sqrt{5}, -1)[/itex]

ans:

[itex]-\frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \cos{5t} x + \frac{\sqrt{30}}{6} ( y - \frac{\pi \sqrt{5}}{5}) + \frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \sin{5t} (z + 1) = 0[/itex]=========================================Find the curvature of the curve [itex]y = 2 \sqrt{x} [/itex] at the point [itex](3, 2\sqrt{3})[/itex]

ans:

[itex]\kappa(3) = \frac{1}{16}[/itex]

=========================================

An athlete throws a shot at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal at an initial speed of 36 ft/sec. It leaves his hand 4 feet above the ground.

Where is the shot 2 seconds later?
Where does the shot land?

ans:

[itex](36\sqrt{2} ft, 36\sqrt{2} - 15.6 ft)[/itex]

x = 132ft

=========================================Find the tangential and normal components of the acceleration vector of a particle with position function [itex] r(t) = \cos{t} i + \sin{t} j + \sqrt{15}t k[/itex]ans:

at = 0
an = 1==========================================

True/false...

The curve [itex]r(t) = <0,t^2, 4t>[/itex] is a parabola

T

The curve with the vector equation [itex]r(t) = t^3 i + 2t^3j + 3t^3 k[/itex] is a line

T

The binormal vector is [itex]B(t) = N(t) x T(t)[/itex]

F (opposite direction... not sure about this one though)

If curvature [itex]\kappa(t) = 0[/itex] for all t, the curve is a straight line

T

The curve [itex]r(t) = <2t, 3 - t, 0 > [/itex] is a line that passes through the origin.

F

If [itex]|r(t)| = 1[/itex] for all t, the r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t

T

if u(t) and v(t) are differentiable vector functions then [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta t}[u(t) x v(t)] = u'(t) x v'(t)[/itex]

FI'm pretty sure the majority of these are right. the physics one and oscillating plane are the ones I am kind of unsure of! thanks for any help i have test soon!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oreosama said:
Hi these are questions from my test review that i am unsure of, i posted question and my answer

if you can tell me if I've gotten right answer that would be much appreciated!

Let C be the curve with the equations [itex] x = 2 - t^3, y = 2t - 6, z = \ln(t)[/itex]

Find the point where C intersects the xz-plane
Find parametric equations of the tangent line at (1,-4,0)

ans:
[itex]
(-25,0,ln(3))
[/itex]

[itex]
x = 1 - 3t, y = -4 + 2t, z = t
[/itex]

find an equation of the osculating plane of the curve [itex] x = \sin{5t}, y = \sqrt{5}t, z = \cos{5t} [/itex] at the point [itex] (0,\pi \sqrt{5}, -1)[/itex]

ans:

[itex]-\frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \cos{5t} x + \frac{\sqrt{30}}{6} ( y - \frac{\pi \sqrt{5}}{5}) + \frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \sin{5t} (z + 1) = 0[/itex]
This can't be correct. There cannot be a "t" in the equation.

Find the curvature of the curve [itex]y = 2 \sqrt{x} [/itex] at the point [itex](3, 2\sqrt{3})[/itex]

ans:

[itex]\kappa(3) = \frac{1}{16}[/itex]

An athlete throws a shot at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal at an initial speed of 36 ft/sec. It leaves his hand 4 feet above the ground.

Where is the shot 2 seconds later?
Where does the shot land?

ans:

[itex](36\sqrt{2} ft, 36\sqrt{2} - 15.6 ft)[/itex]

x = 132ft

Find the tangential and normal components of the acceleration vector of a particle with position function [itex] r(t) = \cos{t} i + \sin{t} j + \sqrt{15}t k[/itex]

ans:

at = 0
an = 1

==========================================

True/false...

The curve [itex]r(t) = <0,t^2, 4t>[/itex] is a parabola

T

The curve with the vector equation [itex]r(t) = t^3 i + 2t^3j + 3t^3 k[/itex] is a line

T

The binormal vector is [itex]B(t) = N(t) x T(t)[/itex]

F (opposite direction... not sure about this one though)

If curvature [itex]\kappa(t) = 0[/itex] for all t, the curve is a straight line

T

The curve [itex]r(t) = <2t, 3 - t, 0 > [/itex] is a line that passes through the origin.

F

If [itex]|r(t)| = 1[/itex] for all t, the r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t

T

if u(t) and v(t) are differentiable vector functions then [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta t}[u(t) x v(t)] = u'(t) x v'(t)[/itex]

F

I'm pretty sure the majority of these are right. the physics one and oscillating plane are the ones I am kind of unsure of! thanks for any help i have test soon!

1. How do I check if my answers to vector equations are correct?

To check if your answers to vector equations are correct, you can use the following steps:

• Compare your solution to the given equation with the original equation. If they are equal, then your answer is correct.
  • Check if your answer satisfies all the given conditions in the problem, such as magnitude, direction, etc.
  • Use a calculator or software program to perform vector operations and compare your answer with the solution.
  • If you are still unsure, consider asking a classmate or your instructor for help.

2. How can I verify my answers to curvature problems?

To verify your answers to curvature problems, you can use the following methods:

• Calculate the curvature using different methods, such as the formula for curvature, arc length, or radius of curvature. If you get the same answer each time, then your answer is likely correct.
  • Graph the curve and visually check if the points of maximum curvature align with your answer.
  • Check if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem. For example, if the curvature is negative, but the curve is a circle, then you know your answer is incorrect.

3. What should I do if my answers to vector equations or curvature problems are incorrect?

If your answers to vector equations or curvature problems are incorrect, consider the following steps:

• Double-check your calculations and make sure you didn't make any mistakes.
  • Check if you used the correct formula or method for solving the problem.
  • Consider asking for help from a classmate or your instructor.
  • If you are using a software program or calculator, make sure you entered the correct values and settings.
  • Practice more problems to improve your understanding and accuracy.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when checking answers for vector equations and curvature problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when checking answers for vector equations and curvature problems include:

• Forgetting to include units in your calculations or final answer.
  • Misinterpreting the given information or problem statement.
  • Using the wrong formula or method for solving the problem.
  • Not checking if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.
  • Making calculation errors, such as forgetting to distribute a negative sign or making a decimal mistake.

5. Can I use technology to check my answers for vector equations and curvature problems?

Yes, you can use technology to check your answers for vector equations and curvature problems. However, it is important to remember that technology is not infallible and can also make mistakes. It is always a good idea to double-check your answers by using different methods or asking for help from a classmate or instructor.