1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General true of false questions about vector function in calc 3

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a. the derivative of a vector function is obtained by differentiating each component function
    b. if r(t) is a differentiable vector function, then d/dt the magnitude of r(t) = the magnitude of r'(t)
    c. the binormal vector is B(t) =N(t)xT(t)
    d. if k(t)=0 for all t, the curve is a straight line
    e. if the magnitude of r(t)=1, then r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t
    f. different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point on the curve

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i think:
    a is T
    b is F
    c i have no idea about what binormal vector is. is it a vector that is orthogonal to both two vectors? if so the cross product would give a vector that is orthogonal to both vectors. so c would be T, i am not quite sure about this one
    d i have no idea
    e i have no idea
    f i think it's T, because although its different parametrizations, the curve is still the same . therefore, the tangent lines at a given point are the same

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the binormal B is perpendicular to (normal to) the other two vectors.
    What does k(t) represent? Isn't it the curvature? If so, what does it mean to say that k(t) = 0 for all t?
    If |r(t)| = 1, what sort of curve do you have?

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    i think i got a circle/sphere, therefore, does that necessarily mean r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t)?

btw, is my answer to the last question right?
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook