Biochemical structure of dominant vs recessive gene

In summary, dominance and recessiveness are determined by the presence or absence of certain genes, not by the sequence of those genes. There are also biochemical differences between dominant and recessive genes, though they are not always clear.
Murdstone
Most all familiar with the terms dominant and recessive trait in a general way. I have seen little on the biochemical difference.

Assume

1. Gene codes for characteristic
2. Variance in characteristic due to sequence within gene

How does the structure of an allele differ from an actual different gene?
What is the biochemical mechanism behind dominant vs recessive?

Biology news on Phys.org
How forgetful. I see I have dwelt on the question before. However, this time, after reflection, I have a better understanding of the process. The "recessive" gene is a mutation that codes differently for a protein. It might not code for a protein at all or it might code for a different "flavor" of the protein. So the gene itself is not the determinate of the trait. It is a precursor to the protein, with the protein being the tangible component that determines the trait.

To clarify. I was thinking that when a dominate and recessive gene "meet", that the dom silences the rec and that is it. Not so.

Murdstone said:
To clarify. I was thinking that when a dominate and recessive gene "meet", that the dom silences the rec and that is it. Not so.

In most cases this is true. When an individual contains both a recessive and a dominant allele, it is usually not the case that the dominant allele interferes with the function of the recessive allele. Rather, the dominant allele just "overpowers" the recessive allele. For example, if the dominant allele encodes for a certain color pigment and the recessive allele encodes a lack of pigment, the individuals will show pigmentation whenever they have at least one dominant allele and will only lack pigmentation when they have two recessive alleles.

An exception here would be the case of a dominant negative (DN) allele, but here the "silencing" occurs at the protein level where the protein produced by the DN allele will prevent the protein produced by the recessive allele from functioning correctly.

How forgetful. I see I have dwelt on the question before. However, this time, after reflection, I have a better understanding of the process. The "recessive" gene is a mutation that codes differently for a protein. It might not code for a protein at all or it might code for a different "flavor" of the protein. So the gene itself is not the determinate of the trait. It is a precursor to the protein, with the protein being the tangible component that determines the trait.

Some alleles contain mutations in regions that do not change the protein itself. For example, consider lactose intolerance. Early humans, like most other mammals, have the ability to digest lactose only in early age and this ability goes away in adulthood. Sometime in human evolution, a mutation occurred near the gene encoding the lactase enzyme responsible for digesting lactose. This mutation did not change the protein, but rather, it changed the regulatory DNA around this sequence, preventing the gene from being turned off in adulthood. The result here is the lactase persistence allele, a dominant allele encoding the lactose tolerance trait.

Thus, here is an example where the dominant allele of the lactase gene is the mutant form, not the recessive allele. Furthermore, the different flavor of the lactase gene differs not in the protein produced but in how the protein gets turned on and off during development.

Murdstone said:
Most all familiar with the terms dominant and recessive trait in a general way. I have seen little on the biochemical difference.

Assume

1. Gene codes for characteristic
2. Variance in characteristic due to sequence within gene

How does the structure of an allele differ from an actual different gene?
What is the biochemical mechanism behind dominant vs recessive?

To simplify things other than chemical differences, the true difference between the two is in terms of function. One works at 100% efficacy, the other works less.

1. What is the biochemical structure of a dominant gene?

A dominant gene has a specific sequence of nucleotides in its DNA that codes for a functional protein. This protein is expressed at a higher level than the corresponding protein from the recessive gene.

2. How does the biochemical structure of a dominant gene differ from a recessive gene?

The biochemical structure of a dominant gene contains a specific mutation that results in a functional protein, while the recessive gene contains a different mutation that causes the protein to be non-functional.

3. What role does the biochemical structure play in determining the dominance of a gene?

The biochemical structure of a gene affects its function, which in turn determines its dominance. If a gene has a functional protein, it will be dominant over a gene with a non-functional protein.

4. Can the dominance of a gene be altered by changes in its biochemical structure?

Yes, changes in the biochemical structure of a gene can alter its dominance. For example, a mutation in a dominant gene can result in a non-functional protein, making it recessive.

5. How does the interaction between dominant and recessive genes affect an organism's traits?

The interaction between dominant and recessive genes determines the expression of an organism's traits. If an organism inherits two copies of a dominant gene, it will display the dominant trait. However, if it inherits one dominant and one recessive gene, the dominant trait will be expressed. Only when an organism inherits two copies of the recessive gene will the recessive trait be displayed.