1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bioinformatics vs software engineering

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    So today at my first day in my first year at computer science I saw those two specialties but I was confused which one to choose cause I can only choose one of them
    I would like if anyone would offer me some help choosing also telling me which jobs will be available to each specialty
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2
    Although I'm not an expert on this, it sounds like software engineering is more flexible, whereas Bioinformatics might focus on analyzing data/modeling/programming biological models or effects of creatures. Maybe you could head into Computational Neuroscience.
    Not sure on this answer, so don't trust me! Also, Wikipedia is probably a good resource.

4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks, did you mean by I may head to computational neuroscience if I study bioinformatics?
    Also I'll still study regular comp sci stuff along with any of both specialties

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4
    Yeah, you might be able to head into computational neuroscience with a bioinformatics degree. Or maybe head into designing software for analyzing ecosystems. Who knows? It could have something to do with nanotechnology for all I know.
    Pulled from Wiki: "Bioinformatics Listeni/ˌbaɪ.oʊˌɪnfərˈmætɪks/ is an interdisciplinary field that develops and improves on methods for storing, retrieving, organizing and analyzing biological data. A major activity in bioinformatics is to develop software tools to generate useful biological knowledge"; also from Wiki: Major research efforts in the field include sequence alignment, gene finding, genome assembly, drug design, drug discovery, protein structure alignment, protein structure prediction, prediction of gene expression and protein–protein interactions, genome-wide association studies, and the modeling of evolution.

Whereas for software engineering.. you can Wiki it yourself. :P

6. Sep 21, 2013 #5
    Thanks a lot man I think I'll go for bioinformatics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook