• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Bioinformatics vs software engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ABD EL HAMEED
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,
So today at my first day in my first year at computer science I saw those two specialties but I was confused which one to choose cause I can only choose one of them
I would like if anyone would offer me some help choosing also telling me which jobs will be available to each specialty
Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

Although I'm not an expert on this, it sounds like software engineering is more flexible, whereas Bioinformatics might focus on analyzing data/modeling/programming biological models or effects of creatures. Maybe you could head into Computational Neuroscience.
Not sure on this answer, so don't trust me! Also, Wikipedia is probably a good resource.

Although I'm not an expert on this, it sounds like software engineering is more flexible, whereas Bioinformatics might focus on analyzing data/modeling/programming biological models or effects of creatures. Maybe you could head into Computational Neuroscience.
Not sure on this answer, so don't trust me! Also, Wikipedia is probably a good resource.
Thanks, did you mean by I may head to computational neuroscience if I study bioinformatics?
Also I'll still study regular comp sci stuff along with any of both specialties

Yeah, you might be able to head into computational neuroscience with a bioinformatics degree. Or maybe head into designing software for analyzing ecosystems. Who knows? It could have something to do with nanotechnology for all I know.
Pulled from Wiki: "Bioinformatics Listeni/ˌbaɪ.oʊˌɪnfərˈmætɪks/ is an interdisciplinary field that develops and improves on methods for storing, retrieving, organizing and analyzing biological data. A major activity in bioinformatics is to develop software tools to generate useful biological knowledge"; also from Wiki: Major research efforts in the field include sequence alignment, gene finding, genome assembly, drug design, drug discovery, protein structure alignment, protein structure prediction, prediction of gene expression and protein–protein interactions, genome-wide association studies, and the modeling of evolution.

Whereas for software engineering.. you can Wiki it yourself. :P

Yeah, you might be able to head into computational neuroscience with a bioinformatics degree. Or maybe head into designing software for analyzing ecosystems. Who knows? It could have something to do with nanotechnology for all I know.
Pulled from Wiki: "Bioinformatics Listeni/ba.onfrmætks/ is an interdisciplinary field that develops and improves on methods for storing, retrieving, organizing and analyzing biological data. A major activity in bioinformatics is to develop software tools to generate useful biological knowledge"; also from Wiki: Major research efforts in the field include sequence alignment, gene finding, genome assembly, drug design, drug discovery, protein structure alignment, protein structure prediction, prediction of gene expression and protein–protein interactions, genome-wide association studies, and the modeling of evolution.

Whereas for software engineering.. you can Wiki it yourself. :P
Thanks a lot man I think I'll go for bioinformatics