1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biological Differential Equation

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a system of coupled differential equations of the form
    [tex] \frac{dR_1}{dt} = R_1^0 \cdot g\left( \frac{R_2}{K_R} \right) - R_1 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{dR_2}{dt} = R_2^0 \cdot g\left( \frac{R_1}{K_R} \right) - R_1 [/tex]
    where
    [tex] g\left( \frac{ R_i}{K_r} \right) = \frac{ 1 + f\cdot \left[ \frac{ R_i}{K_R} \right]^2 }{1 + \left[ \frac{R_i}{K_r} \right]^2 } [/tex]
    where f << 1 is a constant, [itex] R_1^0 [/itex] is the steady state level of [itex] R_1 [/itex] in the absence of [itex] R_2 [/itex] and vice versa.

I need to show (graphically) that if we are free to manipulate [itex] R_1^0, R_2^0 [/itex] then this can lead to one or three solutions that simultaneously satisfy both equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems to me that an obvious choice for a single solution would be to set [itex] R_i^0 =0 [/itex] which will decouple the systems and make them decreasing exponentials. However, other than this I am unsure how to determine that there are three solutions, let alone what it means to do this graphically.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2
    Nevermind, solved it.

The equilibrium points are the intersections of the steady state solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook